Trane XB 10 heats and cools fine, but buzzes when set to "cool"

Old 03-14-13, 08:22 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Trane XB 10 heats and cools fine, but buzzes when set to "cool"

2003 Trane XB 10

The AC unit heats and cools properly, but when it is set to "cool" it makes a constant buzz sound that it didn't used to. It's not extremely loud, but loud enough to be noticeable and annoying. I am talking about the outside unit, not the inside blower.

When I set the thermostat to "off" or "heat" there is no buzzing.

I would prefer to fix it myself if it's not too big of a job. Looking for help. Thanks.

Old 03-15-13, 12:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The problem you are describing sounds like the contactor.

If it's something you would feel comfortable with.... turn off power to the condensor unit. There should be some type of disconnect there. Remove access cover and look for the part in the pic below. It may not be exactly the same but it will be similar.

Restore power to the unit and turn A/C on. See if the contractor is where the noise is coming from.

BE ADVISED - There is 240 volts AC inside unit when powered. If you don't feel comfortable working around high voltage.....call for service.

Attached Images  
Old 03-15-13, 04:32 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
since it only happens in cooling, it would be my guess that it is the reversing valve coil. You do have a Heat pump , correct? I'm assuming this because you posted in the Heat pump section of the forum. If you don't have a heat pump then it is likely the contactor as pete suggested. Please post the model number of your unit. XB10 is a product line.

Old 03-15-13, 08:16 PM
F
Here's the model number: 2TWB0060A1000AB

I took off the access panel and saw the contactor, but I don't believe the sound is coming from there. It doesn't seem to come from anything under the access panel. It seems to come from the side, left of the access panel. I googled "trane reversing valve" and that does seem to be where the buzz is coming from.

I found this picture on the internet. It is not my AC, but the thing that is circled is similar to what I have and seems to be what is buzzing.
http://www.brokenthermostat.com/imag...il-421x312.jpg

Is that part pretty easy to replace? And where can I buy one? Thanks!

Old 03-15-13, 09:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
The part is easy to replace but I'm not sure if just replacing the reversing valve coil is the only answer to the noise.

Kevin will be back thru later. See what he says.

Old 03-16-13, 07:08 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
The coil part number is COL11873. You can buy one online. It is worth the small amount of money for just the coil to try it first.... If it doesn't solve the noise (I think it should) then you will have to call in a professional to get a quote on a new reversing valve. (EXPENSIVE)

Old 03-20-13, 05:23 PM
F
Thumbs up fixed

Just back to update this. It was the reversing valve coil. Cheap and easy fix. Thanks everyone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: