Radiant Heat Flooring (Electrical) in basement room

Old 03-18-13, 08:49 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Radiant Heat Flooring (Electrical) in basement room

Hello There
I have to rip out my basement due to the recent water damage caused by Nemo. I now have a new boiler system, which my plumber added a new fin-tube baseboard to heat the basement level now.

As I need the new flooring after i remove all existing materials, I am considering on adding the radiant heating system on the floor (Nuheat or Sun Touch type of matted wires or loose wire, not sure which) in a room of about 200sf. I plan to use this room where I can watch TV sitting on floor, floor exercise etc... If anyone is familiar with the electrical radiant heating system in the similar use, please share any thoughts or concerns. My particular concerns are:
1. how long does it take to heat the floor? (finish options: laminate wood or linolium type or carpet tiles)
2. which is better bet wire-mesh type or loose wire type?
3. any particular manuf. or distributor recommended? (House is in Long Island, NY)

Thanks in advance for any helpful comment,

Best,

Old 03-18-13, 11:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,056 Upvotes on 3,639 Posts
You have a boiler with baseboard heating. Normally you would add electric floor heating to a room with no heating or a cold floor. Basements aren't usually noted for cold floors.

Electric radiant floor heating is a slow process coming up to heat but once it's hot it maintains it's heat level.

You had basement flood damage so you're removing the flooring material probably down to the concrete. Usually the heating cables or mat go into a thinset before tiling or flooring. I don't believe you can put the flooring directly on the heating system..... you would have to install some kind of subfloor over the cables or mat.

I'm no expert so I'm curious as to what others have to say.

Old 03-19-13, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I am having to do my research, too, as a client wants to put down engineered flooring over a grid heat system. Since she is buying all the materials, I warned her about having to install 3/8 of thinset over the grid prior to wood, but she has found a mat system with a felt like underlayment attached made for wood flooring. I will go there on Wednesday for demo (deconstruction) and will find out the name if it and post it.

Old 03-19-13, 05:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
You have a boiler, why would you install expensive to use electric radiant instead of water?

PJ and Chandler didn't mention this so I'm guessing I'm just missing something....

Old 03-19-13, 07:03 AM
I agree with Mitch, why not use the boiler for the in floor heat, be far cheaper to run than the electric one.

Old 03-19-13, 03:12 PM
And my client is going with straight engineered flooring sans the heat system......$3K just for the grid. She already has central heat and air, so I told her she would not be able to tell the difference on the wood floor except in her pocketbook.

I am a happy camper, now

Old 03-21-13, 11:24 PM
L
Chandler,
Below system sounds like what your client has found:
Electric Floor Heating, Warm Tile - ThermoSoft

I haven't priced it out yet but the main reason I want to add this, in addition to the new baseboard heat, the comfort factor more than anything. Any thought?

Thanks,

Old 03-22-13, 03:27 AM
Not sure of the brand, but from her description it had a felt like over covering that was used as a VB underlayment. Even with the grid you referred to, it recommended burying it in SLC or thinset prior to wood installation.

Yeah, I can see, with baseboard heat, where the warm floor may make for better creature comforts, but her having central HVAC, I don't think there would be a savings, or recovery time on money.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: