My Heat Pump is Eating me alive and no-one listens

Old 03-22-13, 12:51 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My Heat Pump is Eating me alive and no-one listens

I have an older Rheem Heat Pump in a 1500 Sq Ft home. The winter daily temp average is 45-60. Some shockers colder. Night time after sunset can range into the mid 20's to low teens, rarely.
I have had hammering sounds. here is what has been done,
1st: New Thermostat
2nd: Reversing valve replacement
3rd: De-Frost Relay replaced
4th: Defrost Board replacement
5th: 2 Sequencing switches replaced.:
The Stat and valve was last winter. Also, this is a great system during last summer, HA
Now here is what is still going on. When we have a cool day, two days ago started 45 degree high. Thermostat is set on 72, Heat on. I check the stat, inside temps are on 72/72, but it still says "Heat On". Also, "Aux" is on, CRAP. last months elec bill was $350. a new one came today $300. This unit runs and runs when it is at 72/72.. Aux comes on and runscontinually even when 72 is reached, but it never gets hotter. One of the "Techs" from this company states that "before" the Heat and Defrost were "stuck". Please, I can't take much more of this, I need a "professional" to help inform me so I can let these people I know what is going on..ThANKS....
Also why does this thing come on when temp is 72/72..should it not wait till it drops to 69?

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 03-24-13 at 01:15 PM. Reason: removed bold typeface
Old 03-24-13, 09:20 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
First addressing your thermostat function. Your thermostat likely reads in tenths, but displays in whole numbers. So, just because it says its 72 doesn't mean its actually 72.... it could be only 71.5 and is trying to maintain comfort by holding 72. If your thermostat were to use a 3F swing as you suggest, it would be noticeably cool and then hot and then cool and then hot....etc.

On to your problem, what thermostat do you have (make and model number)?
Are you still having hammering sounds?

Old 03-25-13, 05:29 AM
Are you using the program mode or setting the stat at one temp, and leave it be?

Old 03-25-13, 12:17 PM
M
More update re Unit

Thanks for answering...I do not change the stat around. Put it on 72 winter, 78 summer. I do not really think it is 78 but that is what is comfortable/

As to hammering, no. The stat is a Honeywell PRO3000, TH3210D1004.
The "tech"installed it last year. Non-programmable Digital.
It says on box for a 2 Heat/1 Cool Heat Pump.
As to programming or rather set up, tech did it.
Let me tell you what it is doing today. It started out cold here at 34 degrees outside. from 7:38 Am until 12:38 PM it ran continually. Displayed, 72/72, Heat ON with AUX above it. at 12:38, I turned it off for 15 mins. At 12:55, turned to Heat, at 1:04 iHeat On started. Since that time, it is now 3:13 P, it has been on with Heat On ONLY. The temp has dropped to 70/72, Heat On is still on, NO AUX. Outside temp now 37..I visually inspected the Unit. NO ICING anywhere. Something very notable. The velocity of air moved thru the ductwork is MUCH higher with Heat On ONly than when the AUX is on. Does that mean that the Aux is pulling so many amps that the air handler fan loses speed ? Thanks, mitch

Old 03-25-13, 12:20 PM
M
I did not mean to wait so long to respond, I was hoping I would get an email notice of a post, Anyway, I am going watch much closer...Mitch

Old 03-25-13, 02:28 PM
M
Well, It is BACK

Like I said, after restart The Heat On was working, NO aux. Well the inside temp dropped to 69/72, Aux came on and has gone back to 72/72. It is running constantly. Aux is still on and vent velocity seems slower..it is 5:17 PM, I am sure the elec meter is smoking. Last year1/2012 elec 163.59, 2/2012 159.78, 3/2012 111.46. ...starting 1/2013 200.83 2/2013 350.70 3/2013 306.00..

Old 03-25-13, 03:52 PM
sounds like the refrigerant maybe low or there is a different problem. Can you remove the thermostat from it's base and post how it is wired? Can you post the make and model number of the indoor unit and outdoor unit? The thermostat you have is a very LOW end professional thermostat.

Thermostat installation manual here. Starting on page 6... the following is how it should be setup.
1 = 1
5 = 3
6 = 3
9 = 3
14 = 0
15 = 5

Old 03-27-13, 11:19 AM
M
I am renting this home..I am fearful of taking the stat down and running wires. I am going to discuss this with the landlord but the "techs" I fear are just swapping parts without an attempt to diagnose the problem. Is the problem that it is old ? A Rheem scroll. There is no inside parts. Everything is outside, even the ducts..Thanks, Mitch

Old 03-27-13, 03:40 PM
run wires? I asked how it was wired.... did you check the stat settings? OLD really has nothing to do with it. It well may be that the refrigerant charge is off, this has to be checked by a pro. Do the ducts leak?

Old 03-28-13, 09:05 AM
M
I agree it is probably a stat issue, either in setup or when they put the wires in the block. I did not mean running wire, maybe running down wires. Ha...I spoke with the Landlord and advised him of the latest and also our conversation. Since the "techs" have dobe all this mess I feel like it is their responsibility to fix it, again. I reset the stat last eve and since then has been running on Heat on, NO aux, The other day, the landlord touched the led screen on the stat and it changed the interior temp reading from 72 to 74..weird. Thanks again, I am not going to let this go away, it is burning elec like crazy..Mitch

Old 03-31-13, 09:49 AM
M
Well, The "tech" came back, again. This time he removed the fan from the top and replaced a "defrost sensor" that was another part, it was clipped to the side a Freon line. He cut out some burnt wires from a previous short years ago. He also replaced the capacitor that controlled the squirrel cage speed. He said he checked it, a 10 was bad and it read between a 5 and 7, whatever this means. He said the stat was setup right. Now that a warm spell her hit, we won't know till mon or tues if it is fixed. The roller coaster never ends. His demeanor showed he was not happy to be here. He did take his time..

Old 04-14-13, 10:45 AM
M
The End of the Story..After 2 more trips and replacement of another defrst sensor that clips to a line. The Tech inspected a capillary line and found metal shavings in the system/Freon. They advised the property owner it was time to install a new Heat Pump, complete. Well, it is in. Works great, has very high velocity. It is a shame all those "new" parts where installed before the capillary was inspected..I would like everybody's thoughts on this entire episode. Also, the Thermostat was not replaced and it was wired correctly. It is a larger capacity unit but one thing, guess where it was manufactured..Mexico

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: