Heat Pump Left On or Not

Old 03-26-13, 07:50 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump Left On or Not

We have another house that we spend some time at. I was wondering, if it would be cheaper to leave the heat pump on or cut the temperature back to maybe 60. When we turn it up to 72, it runs all night and most of the next day.

Old 03-26-13, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
If you don't spend a lot of time at the other house then I don't see a problem with keeping it at 60 to maintain the house. It would mostly depend on how much you go there. To get to 70 degrees from 60 would take quite a while.

You couldn't go to the other house on the spur of the moment and have the heat magically reach 70. It would take at least several hours depending on outside temperature to reach a comfortable level.

So you have to weigh the choice of saving energy versus comfort.

Old 03-27-13, 05:40 AM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
If the system has electric backup, setting it back could cost you more than maintaining a constant temperature. (unless you find a way to lock out the electric backup when it's recovering - doing so would greatly lengthen the amount of time it would take to get it back to 72)

Otherwise, what you're doing is fine.

Old 03-27-13, 06:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,230 Upvotes on 1,989 Posts
Like has already been said it depends on how long you are away. The longer you are away the more it makes sense to set the temperature back and the longer away the more efficient to set the temp lower. I would not set the thermostat back for the 10-12 hours while away at work. If gone during the week and use the other house on weekends I'd drop the temp to 60f and if gone for more than a week or so I'd go to the lowest setting on the thermostat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: