Air handler wet

Old 04-12-13, 08:57 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Air handler wet

Bryant HP, 13 yrs old, comfort maker AH 3 yrs old. I keep the dial on "auto" and yesterday the cool side kicked in and seems to be doing a great job. I have a Trane electronic air filter mounted under the AH. It was flashing like a police vehicle, alternating yellow 3 times, then Red 3 times and repeating. It would not reset, so took it apart, the filters were wet, the electronic grid was wet, the course filter was wet, the control head was wet. looked under to see the "A" coil, it was pretty wet also. First thing came to mind was, the condensate drain was plugged. No, it runs fast and clean. Flushed it anyway again this morning. Dried off all the filters and plugged it back in, worked normal for about 2 cycles then the lights are flashing again, everything is wet. Had service about 2 weeks ago, where they replaced the AH fan motor, the defrost board and bypassed the VPS switch (vapor pressure switch). It works good, but don't know why all this water is all over the filters.
P.S. the pan under the "A" coil is damp, not excessive water etc. Poured a cup of water in that pan, it ran out the condensate line about 30 seconds later.

Old 04-12-13, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,055 Upvotes on 3,638 Posts
Is there a trap in the condensate line ?

Old 04-12-13, 05:49 PM
The line that exit's the house is below grade and came up to grade by the A/C. Original config installed by builder/AC contractor. This created a slime puddle so I extended it beyond the pad (5ft). Its been this way about 5 years, no issues. There is constant water in the line creating a trap. The line does get visitors from time to time, gecko's, but I feed the service cap with little soap and chlorine.

Old 04-18-13, 01:29 PM
I am still having this problem. Upon inspection, it appears that "tear drops" are hanging out on the "A" coil above the filter. They are dripping in a line horizontal to the front of the AH. This moisture is causing the electronic filter to go crazy I have cleaned the coils twice now with no luck, first with a coil cleaner and this morning with some dish detergent mixed with water. I did it slow and used about half gallon total, then rinsed with clear water. Water runs down and out the condensate line. While reading the label on the AH, it states" Trap condensate line(s) as close to unit as possible. Use 4.5" traps, pitch line 1" per 10 ft run. My traps are outside, has been this way since install 13 yrs ago.??. It also said select motor speed tap per instructions....to much airflow (450cfm/ton) can cause condensate blow off." The AH is 5 ton, motor is set to medium speed for A/C. Instructions here: http://icpindexing.toddsit.com/docum...9604550001.pdf My AH is a FEM4P6000 (not listed on sheet) can't figure out what cfm should be. My guess medium is correct. Not sure what a 4.5" trap is, (4.5" loop??)and do I have condensate blow off. Never had this problem before, until AH motor change out, maybe coincidence??

Old 04-19-13, 08:08 AM
D
maybe there is an air leak in the drain line so that air can be sucked in and prevents water from draining out except when the air handler blower stops ..
I'd try disconnecting the drain line at the air handler and run a temporary drain into a bucket so that the drain exit is under water guaranteeing no reverse air flow into the air handler preventing water exit

Old 04-19-13, 05:34 PM
Tx, will try that in the morning.

Old 04-22-13, 09:30 AM
The weather has been cool the last couple of days, so no AC action to check. I did follow the AH suggestion and made a 4.5 " (loop) condensate trap right next to the run off opening. So there is 4.5 " of standing water in the loop, don't see how that could leak any air etc. Poured about a quart of water in tray, water run thru the trap and outside as expected.

Old 04-23-13, 05:19 AM
D
Even if that's not the problem, the new trap can't hurt ...

The other thing that I've experienced is a crack in the pan that the A-coil drains into.
In my case it was a plastic pan and the crack was not easy to see, but confirmed as the water source by: plugging the drain exit , put 1/4" of water in the pan and let it sit for an hour - the water was mostly gone, then really careful inspection found the crack.
As I recall we tried silicone rubber to fix which worked okay, but I think we ended up replacing the pan (not so easy as I remember).
Maybe something to try while you wait for warmer testing weather ...

Old 04-23-13, 01:45 PM
I think some re-clarification of the problem might be in order. The AH "A" coil has water droplets forming on the inside of it. This in turn drops onto the filter below. Why the water is forming there is unknown to me. I think that it should run off normally downhill and be collected by the condensate drip pan. I have dumped water on the outside of the "A" frame coil to watch it flow, it goes directly to the drip pan. I have cleaned the coil many times thinking that some sort of dust, lint, what ever is clinging there would cause water to collect and drip off rather than simply run down like normal. The pattern of water on the filter is right to left in the middle of the filter,(halfway from front to back) not where the filter meets the pan. Lets do some pics, maybe show better than what I am explaining! Circled the wet pattern and some droplets clinging to coil eventually dropping onto filter. Would think the fan would help the water drop down to the pick up pan?? I think the HP cycled about 2-3 times today when I took this pics. Not much action, still not hot outside yet. I can sit there and stare into the cavity where the filters normally are and see water dropping down in the center area.

Attached Images       

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: