Heat Pump Won't Start

Old 04-13-13, 05:36 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump Won't Start

My Trane TWR036C100A2 Heat Pump Condenser Unit won't start. The unit is getting 250 volts and the contactor pulls in when I set it to COOL. I've checked the mfd on both run capacitors and the compressor hard start kit that I replaced years ago and they are fine. I recently replaced the condenser fan motor (about 3 weeks ago) and its been running great until now, which leads me to believe it's the problem.

After doing research online, I determined I needed a 1/4 HP condenser fan motor. After buying it from Home Depot (AO Smith FSE1026SV1), and getting into the unit to replace the motor, I saw that the user's manual and old fan both said it's a 1/5 HP motor. Well ... I installed it anyways thinking the difference was small enough to not worry about.

The compressor fan motor gets hot to the touch when the unit is set to COOL. I cycled the power to listen to the unit, and I hear a clicking sound like a limit switch is going off. Trouble is, I don't know if it's the high head limit switch or maybe thermal overload on the fan.

Any ideas on what I should try next? Please let me know if you'd like more information.

Old 04-13-13, 05:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Did you get a new cap with your new motor?

Do you get 240VAC between the black wire on the defrost board that feeds the fan motor and red on unit side of the contactor when the contactor pulls in?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: