geo-thermal questions

Old 05-17-13, 04:38 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
geo-thermal questions

Good morning,

I am new to this thread. We are building an earth-berm house in northwest Iowa. It is approximately 2400 sq feet with three sides into a south-facing hill. Should be very easy to heat and cool. I am definitely putting in geo-thermal.

We have a nice 1 1 1/2 acre pond very close so could do a "pump & dump". We also just put in a new 200' well and I am told it has 145' of water.

I am fine the the open system but concerned as to how I would plumb the return pipe into the pond. I just spent a small fortune lining pond with caly to seal it and do not want to risk causing any leakage.

I would really welcome alll input.

My contractor is a good friend and has recommedned horizontal coils but I like the pond open system. Thanks for any input. gc

Old 05-17-13, 06:33 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not an expert because Geo thermal not big in my area. (People will not pay for a high end system much less a geo thermal) From what I understand closed loop is recommended because of dirt and sludge that can clog the indoor coil.

Old 05-17-13, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with airman that a closed loop system is preferred, not only for the sludge, but what about the ambient temperature of the water in winter . Having the closed loop system underground will be more beneficial and will return more stable temps to the coils.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: