Heat Pump does not work in cooling mode

Old 05-23-13, 02:55 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump does not work in cooling mode

Last summer when I had the same problem I had to make a service call. The technician diagosed it as expansion valve problem and replaced the valve and added some refrigirant. It set me back by $400.00 but it fixed the problem. After a long winter in heating mode (which worked fine) I switched to cooling for the summer.

Unfortunately the cooling problem has come back to haunt me again. After running the unit for more than an hour the temperature in the house actually went up by a few degrees!

I have a split system with a Trane Airhandler and an American Standard Outdoor Unit. Here are my observations. In cooling mode the registers in the house do not blow cool air. It just feels lukewarm. The outdoor unit fan does not blow warm air. It feels the same temperature as ambient air. Strangely after running the unit for a while I do see condensation water discharge from Air Handler. Both the coolant lines to the ODU neither feel hot nor cold to touch. I wonder if this is because of stuck reversing valve. But how could I tell? Tapping the reversing valve did not help.

I would like to do a little bit of trouble shooting myself. I appreciate any of your comments.

Old 05-23-13, 03:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
sounds like low charge.... need to call a pro.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: