hooking up a honeywell RTH6450 to a split system heat pump

Old 05-24-13, 07:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hooking up a honeywell RTH6450 to a split system heat pump

hi, I am trying to figure out what wires i should hook up to my thermostat, my husband didnt label the wires after he took off the old one. there are a total of ten wires, red yellow green blue black pink orange brown gray and white. I am also confused on what the system type is and whether its a gas or electric furnace. as of right now i have blue hooked up to y2, black hooked up to w2, green hooked up to g, yellow to y, red to r and white to w. when i turn on my thermostat and go to use it on cool it blows out hot air and when i turn it to heat my fan doesnt kick in. please help?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-13, 10:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm a little lost here. Your husband disconnected all the wires from the old thermostat without writing down which color wires were on which terminals and then has you take over ???

The HVAC pros may be able to help you but you may be required to go to the furnace, open the access cover and locate where the thermostat wires connect. Each color will be on a terminal which will match the thermostat.

Old 05-25-13, 08:21 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you,

well originally he was going to do it but was shipped overseas and had it set up with a buddy of his to come do it but he never showed. he didnt think to label the wires when he unhooked the old one. so im doing it now. ok, thats what i was thinking ill check it out and see whats hooked up out in the unit

Old 05-26-13, 07:53 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
can you provide make and model numbers of the indoor and outdoor unit?

Old 05-28-13, 10:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing can be used to post pics of the wiring at your air handler.
A few pictures and the make and model of the indoor unit and outdoor unit would help us help you...