blower motor keeps overheating

Old 05-30-13, 01:27 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
blower motor keeps overheating

I have a vacation house in west Virginia and last year I think the motor went ouI smelled an electric burning smell and heard humming coming from furnance. It is a Lennox e11q electric furnance I believe. Didn't really check anything out since we were closing down for season. I ordered new motor which is exactly the same. Nothin is different hooked everything this up the same exact way and when I turn on everything works then after about 10 seconds I smell a burning smell and the house is filling with smoke and the motor is really hot can't touch for a split second without burning my hand. I read online that it could be the capacitor and I just picked on up from grainger. The old capacitol has two purple wires and a green wire that I think is a ground. The new capacitor only has two terminals can I still use that cause that is the only one I can on the motor it has cap. 5.00/370. Also could a bad capacitor cause the motor to overheat.
Thanks

Old 05-30-13, 06:13 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
yes a bad capacitor can cause a motor to overheat, and you should ALWAYS replace the capacitor when you replace a motor. is that the cause? That is hard to say unless you start talking some voltage readings.

Old 06-02-13, 07:59 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok I will replace capacitor hopefully it didn't ruin motor. I only had running for prob about 5 mins. With the capacitor on the motor it says 5.00/370 I went to grainger and picked one up. The old capacitor has three wire running to it. 2 purple wires and a 1 green wire. The new.capacitor only has a place for 2 wires do I hook the 2 purple wires to it and the put the green to the mounting bracket. Thank you

Old 06-02-13, 03:31 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
correct.... purple to capacitor and green to mounting bracket. What capacitor does the new motor call for.... not what capacitor value did the old motor use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: