Should I replace Air Handler-Furnace and Heat Pump or just compressor?

Old 06-29-13, 11:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I replace Air Handler-Furnace and Heat Pump or just compressor?

Hi DIYers and Pros,

I have a vacation rental which has a Trane Model TVF030A 140A1 Vertical Air Handler (Furnace) and corresponding Heat Pump (sorry I don't have the model). This was installed new around the year 2000 (12 years old). In this time the Heat Pump has already needed a new compressor. The home is about 1,300 sq. ft. and is in the a high desert climate.

Just today we found out the capacitor was bad as well as the Heat Pump. This would be the second time we needed a compressor. Our service tech mentioned that if we wanted a new system he would probably replace both due to new refrigerants introduced a few years ago (no more freon). We can get a new system with Furnace and Heat Pump (~$6000), or just a compressor (~$2000).

Should we purchase a new Furnace-Heat pump or just a compressor?
Are the new systems much more efficient to make it worth while?
Should the heat pump compressor need to be replaced twice in 12 years?

I am just surprised I have needed this much service, but then I have a natural gas heater and A/C at home.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-13, 04:56 AM
The compressor is failing often for a reason. Without seeing the system in person I can not tell you the reason (many possibilities but most likely it goes back to the original installation). At 12 years old it is a toss up as to what you should do. If replacing the compressor make sure your contractor diagnoses the reason why the compressor has failed twice and repairs said issues. IF replacing the system get multiple quotes from other contractors.

PS. You usually get what you pay for....IE
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a low price

Old 06-30-13, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the advice. I did get the model number from a renter. I don't have the diagnosis information, but my tech is looking at it. I am doing this all from a remote location (thanks open internet!).

At this point it looks like my Trane XE1000 Heat Pump (Trane - Home Comfort Systems) is 10 SEER, so newer models are going to be more efficient.

Old 07-01-13, 05:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree about something causing the compressor to go. The single most common problem I see is insufficient duct size, most often return. You should have 20-30% more return than supply duct capacity.