Trane XL14i Heat Pump - Where to Start...

Old 07-03-13, 12:02 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XL14i Heat Pump - Where to Start...

I have a Trane XL14i 2-part electric heat pump with the air handler in the attic and the compressor outside on the ground. It hasn't been needed since last winter when it was last used to heat the house. I have a a swamp cooler that does a fantastic job of cooling the house until the humidity and dew point reach a certain temp at which point it isn't efficient and I have to switch to the A/C (heat pump). I'm in Arizona btw...
Anyway, when I turned it on yesterday, I couldn't get the t-stat controls to work properly. I had to pull the face of it off the wall and replace it a few times for it to acknowledge that I had switched it from "Off" to "Cool". The display showed that it was in "cool" mode and I then lowered the temp to 75. The fan in the air handler came on but the air temp didn't change. I went outside to find the compressor and fan not working. I pulled the access panel and saw a continuous blinking light on the circuit board and no swelling or deformation of the capacitor. The compressor wasn't making any noise at all. No humm, nothing.
Went back inside and turned the system off at the t-stat and waited a few minutes. When I tried to turn it on, once again, it didn't acknowledge the change in settings and I had to pull the t-stat off and replace it a few times top make it turn on. Same thing as before. Air handler fan running but nothing at the compressor.

Based on this info, can you tell me where to start my t-shooting. Is it possible the problem lies in the t-stat and is not sending the call for cooling to the compressor but is to the air handler? Also, where on/in the air handler is it supposed to be cleaned? Coils? With a steady blinking green light on the circuit board and no hum, as well as a capacitor that looks brand new, is it possible the problem is somewhere other than the compressor/fan assembly?

Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

Steve
Chandler, AZ

PS: If it turns out to be the capacitor, where can I purchase a replacement not being an HVAC service tech.?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-13, 04:57 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would start at your thermostat. IF you shut off power to the air handler at the breaker, remove the thermostat from the subbase, remove R, G, Y, O wires and wire nut them all together, then turn the breaker back on for the air handler this will simulate a call for cooling from the thermostat. Does everything startup as it should? If yes, then you need a new stat, if no, then we need to do some more troubleshooting.

Old 07-04-13, 08:45 PM
J
Connected the wires as instructed and it worked. Replaced the stat and life is good once again! Thank you so much for the quick, easy solution.

Regards,
Steve

Old 12-22-14, 05:18 AM
B
Trane XL14i circuit board buzzing, not contactor

My 10 year old Trane xl14i started making a very loud buzzing noise out side. I removed the side panel and found that it was not the contactor that was buzzing, but the circuit board CNT02940 buzzing very loudly. The green led is flashing steady, both the a/c and heat systems work, the fan runs smoothly, but the board is vibrating loudly. I have searched the internet everywhere but I can't find any other reference to this problem. I do not want to buy a $200+ board, plug it in and have it blow because something else is the problem, any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks