Options for replacing heat pump compressor

Old 07-12-13, 04:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Options for replacing heat pump compressor

My heat pump compressor is fried, apparently due to a malfunctioning t-stat.
I can install a new compressor myself but I'm wondering if I must use exactly the same brand and model of compressor that came with the heat pump or are there options to get the best deal online. Is there some catalogue/s that would list equivalent heat pump brands and models for my heat pump?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-13, 04:37 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
YOU cannot replace the compressor unless you have the EPA certificate for working with refrigerants. If you did have this certificate I would think that you would know the answer to your question.

This forum has a policy of not giving any instruction on how to work on refrigerant systems.

Old 07-17-13, 08:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I did get my EPA certification but then got stuck mostly in a duct cleaning position and now no longer work for that company. I've installed or assisted installation on hundreds of systems but somehow never was involved much in matching equipment of different brands. I don't need instructions for working on refrigerant systems. I just need to find the cost of compatible compressor replacement versus heat pump replacement. Thanks again.