air conditioning

Old 08-28-13, 04:02 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
air conditioning

I have an terrible problem. Like I have said before I have a new system and I have gotten thermostat fixed and found a button on system to get outside fan to come on so I know that it works. But will not come on by its self and when Freon is being put in system wont take any. Both of the copper lines are hot. I have replaced the duct work hoping that would help. I have a very expensive fan sitting outside and can't get anyone to help me fix it. Can't find the man I hired to install it for me he is just left one day never to return so I have to try and find out what is wrong. I still have that one wire that has silver instead of copper wire inside that I have no idea what to do with it. If you can help please tell me what to do. I live in the middle of nowhere and it's hard to get someone out here so I have learned to do a lot myself. I am on a fixed income and this have just about taken all that I had saved. I need this air conditioner because unfortunately I live in Ga and it is hot. HELP PLEASE.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-13, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,049 Votes on 973 Posts
That "button" is the contactor. It requires 24vac from the thermostat. You should have a two wire cable that comes out to the condensor unit. That wire is connected inside the air handler and in the splice box on the condensor. You need to check that for 24vac when thermostat is calling for cooling.

Does the inside blower operate normally ?

Where is that wire you found located ?

Old 08-28-13, 06:01 PM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Detailed pictures will help

Old 08-29-13, 09:27 AM
K
Yes inside works and the wire is outside where the thermostat wires are at. I have looked in the paper work that came with the unit and nowhere is there anything about this wire can you help?

Old 08-29-13, 09:31 AM
K
Wish I could send you pictures but have no way of doing that sorry

Old 08-29-13, 10:39 AM
Yes inside works and the wire is outside where the thermostat wires are at.
Without photos and without the name/model of your unit it is going to be difficult to assist you.

Where is the wire that is "silver" instead of copper coming from?

You said that when you push the "button" the condenser will come on. Does the fan and the compressor both start?

Has your condenser worked properly since you replaced the thermostat? Did you do the installer's setup for your system. If it is a digital programmable thermostat it has to be configured to work with your system. If it is a heat pump it has to be configured one way. For a straight a/c it will be configured differently.

The two wires you need to be interested in are the 24 volt wires that attach to the sides of the contactor. Do you own a voltmeter and know how to use it?

I have attached a photo of a contactor. The two wires I am referring to are the
light blue and tan in the photo. 24 volts must be on those two wires for the contactor to "pull in" and energize the black and yellow wires on top of the contactor. The wire colors on yours are probably different.

Be advised that the 240V in your system is deadly and can kill you if you do not know what you are doing!

If you have a voltmeter (or can borrow one) there is a relatively safe test to see if you have 24 volts to those two wires (blue and tan shown in the photo)

If you want help you are going to need to answer each and every question that is asked and let us know the name/model number of your system.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 08-29-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-29-13, 11:53 AM
K
Yes when button is pushed both compressor and fan come on but it is producing heat. They system is a Goodman split system aruf14/arpt14. The wire is coming out of the place with the thermostat wires are coming from. I have the red, yellow, white, blue and that wire with the silver wire inside. Everything turns on when button is pushed and the inside works as well. It has a heat pump on it as well. It acts like it is working in reverse and yes I do have the tester here. The silver thing in the picture you sent is brand new and looks fine no bulges or dents or anything else with that. I purchased a honeywell rth3100c thermostat which is made for heat pumps so I am at a loss with what is wrong.

Old 08-29-13, 12:48 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Where is the silver wire located? Is it with the other wire going to the thermostat or somewhere else?

Do you have anything connected to the "C" terminal on the thermostat?

Old 08-29-13, 01:40 PM
Thanks for providing more information. Here is a link to your system's installation guide: http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/...Os/IO-ARUF.pdf

What kind of backup heat do you have? On a Goodman heat pump the reversing valve is energized in cooling mode.

Can you tell us which wires are connected to your thermostat, For example:

Y to y
G to G
B to ???

Old 08-29-13, 01:59 PM
K
y to y g to g r to r w to w b to c thanks for the information I will check it out I am burning up and starting to make me sick so I am grateful for all the help.

Old 08-29-13, 02:03 PM
You need a wire to the O terminal. That wire energizes your reversing valve at the condenser outside. Do you have an extra wire available at the thermostat?

Old 08-29-13, 02:10 PM
K
That is what I have but still nothing about that one wire with the silver inside I don't know what to do with it. I tried putting it with the red wire and it made the compressor start but still putting out heat. What can I do to make it cold? I have it put together the way that the book said to do but still that one wire it has to do something I don't want to damage the system I don't know what this man did and I can't find anyone else in this area to come out. I want to thank you for your help.

Old 08-29-13, 02:50 PM
In the earlier post you wrote: y to y g to g r to r w to w b to c with no mention of an orange wire. You didn't mention an orange wire at the condenser. At the condenser you said you had "red, yellow, white, blue and that wire with the silver wire inside". What color wires do you have going to the reversal valve? Find the reversing valve and look at the attached photo and tell us what wires are going to the coil on the revering valve. I have a blue and yellow line pointing to the two terminals. Also, what color are the 24V wires going to the sides of the contactor (the photo I posted earlier)?

Also, you still need to tell us what type of backup heat you have: electric strips, gas, oil and etc.

Old 08-29-13, 03:07 PM
K
Mine has a black wire that has something like a plug on the connecting end I didn't see any other wires connected to this part.

Old 08-29-13, 03:10 PM
Ok. Can you follow the wires coming out of that plug and see where they go? You are going to have to answer all of the questions in all these posts so that someone can help you solve your problem.

Old 08-29-13, 03:13 PM
K
No can I make a jumper to the o spot. The orange goes to the handler but not the thermostat when I purchased the home was told it had a heat pump but it wasn't there is new wire from the system to the handler but used the wire that was here before.

Old 08-29-13, 03:16 PM
The wire for the reversing valve at the condenser needs to be tied from the thermostat to the air handler to the condenser.

Old 08-29-13, 03:17 PM
K
No there isn't an empty connector the black plug covers both I doubled checked and there are no other wires except that black plug the wire is sort of heavy could that be the problem

Old 08-29-13, 03:21 PM
Ok. Look on the defrost control board at the outside unit. I am attaching a photo of a typical defrost board. There should be where all of the wires coming from the air handler are attached. Do you see any wires on the O terminal?

Old 08-29-13, 03:25 PM
K
I followed to the outside and it's connected to a panel where other wires are connected. The control panel is all the way at the top of the unit.

Old 08-29-13, 03:30 PM
What I am saying is that you need a wire from the air handler to the outside unit. Normally the wire color is orange but it could be any color. Maybe the "mystery" wire is the wire you need to make it work. Once again, look at the O terminal on the defrost control board and see if there is a wire connected.

Old 08-29-13, 03:30 PM
K
Yes there is and I have an o wire from outside to the handler but just noticed that there isn't an o wire to the thermostat. Can you make a jumper to connect the o wire I have been told that I really don't need the b wire with batteries in the thermostat can I use that for the o and change the wires on the handler.

Old 08-29-13, 03:34 PM
K
There is an o wire from the system to the handler but there isn't one on the thermostat

Old 08-29-13, 03:39 PM
K
Yes there is an o wire from system to handler but not to the thermostat there isn't an o wire can I use the blue wire for the o wire and change or add to the handler that way

Old 08-29-13, 03:43 PM
You've got me going in circles. Anyway, that is good that you have a wire from the air handler to the condenser. Shut the power off going to the air handler. You can remove the blue wire at the air handler that is going from C on the board to the C terminal on the thermostat. Now connect the blue wire to the orange wire in the air handler and connect the blue wire to the O terminal on the thermostat. The blue wire from the transformer should go to the condenser outside but not to the thermostat. Turn the power back on to the air handler and see what you've got.

Old 08-29-13, 04:28 PM
K
Thank you I will try that sorry about sending you in circles try to do better when I get back with you I do want to thank you for your help talk later.

Old 08-29-13, 04:33 PM
Ok. You are welcome. Hopefully we can get you back up and running!

Old 08-29-13, 05:28 PM
K
Switching the wire worked now have cold but the outside system still wont kick on unless we push that button any ideas? you have helped me a lot and I am grateful

Old 08-29-13, 05:40 PM
Ok. You said you have a voltmeter correct? You need to verify that you have 24 volts at your thermostat and 24V at the contactor when the thermostat is calling for cooling. Set your volt meter to VAC lowest range (if not self-ranging meter). Take the cover off the thermostat to expose the wire terminals. Place one lead from the voltmeter to the "r" terminal and one lead on the "y" terminal. You should read 24VAC. Now do the same between "r" and "y". Let me know the results.

Old 08-29-13, 06:04 PM
K
Will do let you know tomorrow really don't want to stand outside and push the button every so often to cool off. Thanks

Old 08-29-13, 06:06 PM
You made good progress. You will need to do some voltage checks tomorrow. They are easy to do and go very fast. I will find some links to videos to help you understand how to do the tests.

Old 08-29-13, 06:58 PM
Here is a test that you can do to verify you have the correct voltages at the correct location. Be extremely careful when working on live voltage. Set the thermostat as low as it will go so that it will continue to call for cooling while troubleshooting. Set voltmeter for VAC and test between L1 and L2. You should have 240V. Test between the two 24V terminals on the sides of the contactors. You should have 24VAC between them. With the contactor calling for cooling measure across the T1 and T2 terminals. You should have 240V. These tests verify that you have 240V available going into the contactor and 24VAC to pull in the plunger on the contactor as well as 240V going to the fan and compressor.

Old 08-29-13, 08:23 PM
Here is a diagram that explains the test points mentioned in my previous post.