Need help changing a Rheem Heat Pump Tstat to a Honeywell RTH 7600

Old set up was as follows
G-Green
R-Red
B-Blue
Y-Yellow
X-Brown
E-White
Also have two snipped un-used wires a black, and an orange.

I have seen hundreds of different ways to wire this up today and I'm done searching. I cant find a concrete answer to where the X or B wire go in the new tstat. Any help would be great. I will upload pictures of the old, and new tstats.

Also I'm in the Air Force and forums are usually blocked on govt computer systems, if it takes me a while to respond I'll catch it when I get home.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-13, 09:12 PM
Here is a picture of the old Rheem Tstat and the new Honeywell Tstat

Old 09-02-13, 09:19 PM
Lets blow those up a little

Old 09-03-13, 04:18 PM
Alright now I have a bigger problem. After posting this last night, I went ahead and put the old Tstat back on the wall (the wife was getting hot). I wired everything back up the way it was before, flipped the breaker back on and I got nothing. No AC, no heat. What did I do???

Old 09-03-13, 05:46 PM
You more than likely blew the low voltage fuse. it looks like an automotive type fuse,usually a 3A or 5A. Without looking it up, it will be usually be located on the control board in the air handler or you can follow the wires coming out of the transformer and you should find it. If it is blown, it is very easy to replace and should get you back up and running.

Old 09-03-13, 05:48 PM
haha, I just came up out of the crawl space, herd my phone so I checked for a post. Guess what I found while I was down there...a blown fuse on the control board. Thanks for the post, now I just need to figure out how to wire in this new Tstat.

Old 09-03-13, 05:50 PM
Maybe we can get that figured out. Were the black and orange wires used on your old thermostat? What type of back-up heat do you have: electric heat strips? Can you post the make/model of your system?

New thermostat:
C-Common (used to power thermostat so you don't have to use batteries) X-brown wire from old
G-Green (fan relay)
R-Red (24V to thermostat from transformer) jumpered to RC
B-Blue (O/B terminal reversing valve)
Y-Yellow (1st stage cooling)
W-White (Auxiliary)

The black and orange wires are usually used on Trane heat pumps and other models for the reversing valve and emergency heat.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-03-13 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-03-13, 06:09 PM
Sure let me go back down and make sure I have the model right. I was tracing wires not really paying attention. Black and Orange wires were not used, snipped at the Tstat and found them snipped unused in at the unit as well.

Old 09-03-13, 06:14 PM
I was editing my post while you posted. I listed what the colors are for a pretty standard wiring of the 'stat but colors really don't mean a whole lot as some installers don't follow any rhyme or reason.

You will need to go into the advanced settings for the 'stat to tell the thermostat you have a heat pump with the reversing valve that energizes in heat. You will need to configure function 170 and function 190 depending on your system. Once you post it we will be able to figure that out.

Old 09-03-13, 06:21 PM
Looks like it is a Rheem Criterion II. I'm not sure what type of system it is. I am assuming heat pump because of the set up in the Tstat. But as far as what kind I am not sure. My wife and I just bought this house last year and most everything in it is older than we are. I found a model number on the AC part I think, it is RCBA-4882GG21.

Old 09-03-13, 06:24 PM
Based upon your original post I offered what I think is the correct wiring for your 'stat. Do you know if you have emergency backup heat?

Old 09-03-13, 06:27 PM
yes it has emergency backup heat

Old 09-03-13, 06:27 PM
I just did a quick search and it appears a Rheem Criterion II is a gas furnace. So I will do some research and get back with you as to hopefully figure out how to wire up your stat. Hopefully someone that knows Rheem gas furnaces will stop by and give you some real insight.

Old 09-03-13, 06:32 PM
Rheem Criterion II is a series. There should be a plate somewhere on the furnace that has the model listed. It should be something like RGPRO5EBMKR or RGPRO7EAMKR or something like that. It might be on the inside of the access panel you removed to find the blown fuse.

Old 09-03-13, 06:33 PM
here is what I found when I traced the wires from the Tstat to the units board.

Y-Orange wire that runs outside.
G-Green wire that runs up to Tstat
W-Three wires all white, one runs outside, one runs to the Tstat, and the third runs to what looks like the AC
R-Two red wires, one runs up to Tstat, and the other follows one of the whites to the AC
C-Two brown wires, one runs up to Tstat, the other goes outside

Neither the Yellow or blue wires run to the board, they both run strait from the Tstat to the crawl space the outside.

Old 09-03-13, 06:37 PM
The number you gave RCBA-4882GG21 is the evaporator coil in the furnace. Can you post the make/model number of the outside unit?

Old 09-03-13, 07:01 PM
outside unit is a Rheem Classic 10 SEER Heat pump - RPKA-043JAZ

Old 09-03-13, 07:03 PM
Ok, thanks. Let me do a little research and I will get back with you.

Old 09-03-13, 07:04 PM
Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help.

Old 09-03-13, 07:18 PM
No problem.

here is what I found when I traced the wires from the Tstat to the units board.

Y-Orange wire that runs outside.
G-Green wire that runs up to Tstat
W-Three wires all white, one runs outside, one runs to the Tstat, and the third runs to what looks like the AC
R-Two red wires, one runs up to Tstat, and the other follows one of the whites to the AC
C-Two brown wires, one runs up to Tstat, the other goes outside

Neither the Yellow or blue wires run to the board, they both run strait from the Tstat to the crawl space the outside.
Ok. Here is the way I see the wiring on your new thermostat.

Old New
G-Green G-Green
R-Red R-Red jumpered to RC
B-Blue B-Blue O/B this energizes the reversing valve on
the heat pump
Y-Yellow Y-Yellow goes to compressor outside
X-Brown C-Brown wire Common powers thermostat
E-White W-white wire to Aux terminal

You will need to go into the advanced settings in the new thermostat and set it up for your system:

https://customer.honeywell.com/resou.../69-2206EF.pdf

Go to page 13 to see the advanced settings. Your function 170 should be set to 7 and function 190 set to 1 since Rheem energizes the reversing valve in heat.

Try that wiring and see if you can get your a/c working then we can work on the heating.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-03-13 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-03-13, 08:14 PM
Ok the fuse is in, the wires are wired and the breaker is on. Good note is that this time the new Tstat is on. I just herd the AC kick in, so that is awesome. I really do appreciate your help with this. If you lived near me I'd by you lunch haha. Thanks again.

Old 09-03-13, 08:22 PM
You are welcome. Glad you are back up and running! In the advanced settings there are quite a few functions you will need to look at to make sure they are configured properly.

Old 09-03-13, 08:46 PM
Pretty sure I set them up right but here is what I did

170-7
190-1
270-5
300-1
330-2
500-3
530-1

Old 09-04-13, 05:15 AM
Take a look at function 0180 and 0190. I believe you would set to:

0180-0
0190-1

I would also put a jumper wire from the Aux terminal to E terminal on your thermostat since you don't have a separate wire for Emergency heat.

As you probably know auxiliary heat is supposed to kick in when the heat pump cannot keep up with heating the house and comes on when the heat pump is in the defrost mode to temper the air. The emergency mode is for when the heat pump totally fails and you need heat until the problem can be resolved.

Old 09-05-13, 10:12 AM
Jumper wire to E, done. Thank you for your help.