Trane sump heater wiring

Old 09-11-13, 08:37 PM
Trane sump heater wiring

My heat pump outdoor unit starting blowing a breaker and the tech who came out said the compressor was shot because the sump pump heater had shorted out and since it was all one unit he couldn't replace the heater but he bypassed it to get it to work in the short term. Then of course gave me a quote to replace the entire unit for 6k since his hot wire may not last. After a little research the non replaceable part costs about $50 but he disconnected it from the main unit so it wouldn't short out and I can't tell where to reconnect it when I get the new one. Two black wires come off the old one. One was capped off and probably connected to another capped off wire but the other had a connector on it with probably 6 other places it could be connected to on several different modules. Anyone have an idea on where it might go or a picture other than a wiring diagram that might help?

There is a cylinder with several connectors open, says for starting motors on it maybe the capacitor? Another multi connector with a red coil on it (AC Contacter?) and one connector open, a black rectangular connector with a few slots open so way too many options.

I may call the service guy back to see if he'd tell me but thought I'd try here first.

Trane xe1200 outdoor unit heat pump

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-13, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 211
Welcome to the forums.

The heating element is usually wired always live. All he had to do was remove the two power wires to your old one. No big deal.

The new one will wrap around the compressor like a giant hose clamp. It will also have two wires. We need to check and see if your compressor has a discharge line thermostat.

Could use the exact model number of your unit.

Also....while you are poking around in there....do you see a round metal device clipped on to the compressor copper line. It may have purple and white wires on it.

Last edited by PJmax; 09-11-13 at 09:30 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 09-12-13, 11:41 AM
The sump pump heaters aka crankcase heaters on Trane heat pumps are normally connected on the L1 and L2 side (in-coming voltage) of the contactor. Right behind where the in-coming wires attach with either screws or lugs you'll find some terminals that are unused. Attach one of the leads from the heater to an unused terminal behind L1 and the other one behind L2 and you should be good to go. Your contactor will probably look a little different but it is the same as far as L1 and L2 terminals.

Old 09-12-13, 04:05 PM
No, they are not normally live 24/7.... they are in series with a thermostat (typically purple wires). Also, the "new" one will not necessarily wrap around the compressor....unless you ordered that specific type of aftermarket CCH... The OEM style heater is still available (some are an absolute pain to replace though).

Old 09-12-13, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the info and picture. I got the part today which is a pen shaped rod that slides into a tube under the compressor and attaches somehow with a flimsy spring like wire. No instructions but I did find another schematic that I can follow and it does show the contactor and black wire going into the L1 side and the other connects to a purple wire so I think got it. Not sure how this spring wire that wraps around the heater works. Any ideas?

Old 09-12-13, 06:55 PM
Attached is a photo of spring holder

Attached Images  
Old 09-13-13, 09:23 AM
Secure the cartridge into the tube with the spring provided in the kit. The "hook" end connects to the back end of the tube. The "hoop" end latches around the cartridge (like it shows in the photo).

Can you tell me where the purple wire you mentioned is connected? Also, can you please provide the part number for the sump heater?

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 09-13-13 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-13-13, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 211
The purple wire should connect to the compressor's "discharge line" thermostat.
Turns CCH on when under 65 degrees....I believe.

Old 09-13-13, 10:11 AM
Aw, yes the good old TDL. PJmax, thanks for the info. I was trying to remember as it has been awhile since I looked at a sump heater. We don't have a whole lot of sump heaters here in South Texas. I worked on quite a few when I worked in colder climates many years ago. A lot of sump heaters are wired directly to L1 and L2 at the contactor and are powered 24/7 even in the summer. I really never could grasp that concept as the heater draws a lot of current. Some home owners disconnect the power leads during the cooling season and re-connect them when it cools down.