new honeywell thermostat install help

Old 10-12-13, 04:59 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new honeywell thermostat install help

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and need some help. Last night my wife and I started smelling something burning so we started looking around. The burning smell smelled like something electrical and it was coming from the thermostat. I didn't wan't to take any chances so I immediately threw the breaker and disconnected the thermostat. Unfortunately, since I was in a hurry to get the thermostat off the wall, I didn't make any notes of which wire went where.

So, I've got a heat pump system and bought a new honeywell rth6530 thermostat. I've traced the wiring harness back to the indoor air handler.

It has a red, orange, blue, green, yellow, and white wire in the thermostat harness.

I've only got 2 of the wires figured out going to the new thermostat:

Red (R) to the R and Rc (with the factory jumper)
Green (G) to the G

There is a Blue wire that goes to a terminal labeled "C" on a circuit board inside the handler.

A white wire goes to what looks like a relay of some sort inside the handler. No letter markings.

Then there is a orange and yellow wire that hooks up to the wire harness that leads to the outside unit.

In the outside harness, there is a red, blue, orange, yellow, and white of which the red, blue, and white hook up to the same color wires at the air handler. The orange and yellow wires hook up directly to the thermostat harness and don't go into the air handler.

I looked at the wiring in the outside unit and the yellow and orange wires are jumped together via a wire nut. I don't know if that matters or not but that's how it is wired.

So at the thermostat, there are the following connections:

L, Aux/E, G, O\B, not used, Y, R, and Rc

Like I said, I've only got the R and G wires figured out. I'm guessing the Y is for the yellow wire but I still need to figure out what to do with the orange, blue, and white wires.

Any help is appreciated and I hope I've explained the wiring clearly.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-12-13, 09:21 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Yellow wire to Y terminal (sends signal to condenser to energize compressor)
Orange wire to O/B terminal (sends signal to reversing valve at heat pump)
White wire to Aux/E terminal (auxiliary heat)
Blue wire (not used)

You have the red and green wires on the proper terminals. Since your new thermostat doesn't have a "C" terminal the blue wire won't be used and needs to be taped off. Just for info, the blue wire connected to C terminal in air handler provides constant 24VAC to power thermostat so batteries aren't required

Old 10-13-13, 07:56 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much firedawgsatx! I appreciate the explanation.

Old 10-13-13, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
No problem. Please post back and let us know how it worked and/or if you need further assistance. Don't forget to shut power off to furnace when making connections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: