Trane Heat Pump Issue-Please Help!

Old 10-22-13, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane Heat Pump Issue-Please Help!

I have a Trane Weathertron Heat Pump and I tried to replace the original Mercury filled thermostat with a digital thermostat. I had some trouble with the wiring but finally got it to work with the AC. However, now that I tried to turn on the heat the unit just flashes 'RUX' and the heat doesn't turn on. I called tech support and we switched some wires around but still nothing. I even tried to turn the AC on again just to see if it would work but now that won't run either. I am going to try to reinstall the old thermostat tonight but am concerned. When I was on the phone with tech support they told me to touch three wires together to see if the unit would kick on; it didn't They then told me that this indicated that something is wrong with the unit itself.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-13, 08:26 AM
However, now that I tried to turn on the heat the unit just flashes 'RUX' and the heat doesn't turn on
I believe it is flashing AUX instead of RUX. That shows the thermostat is calling for auxiliary heating.

It is possible you blew the low voltage fuse that protects the transformer and that is why it won't come on when you touched the 3 wires together. Also, if you post the model of your new and old thermostats and how you have them wired someone will be able to verify wiring is correct. It sounds like you have the wires for the Aux heat wired incorrectly.

Also, did you enter the installer's set-up to configure the thermostat for your system?

Old 10-22-13, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the quick response! That's what I thought it should be but the first letter appears as an 'R' as opposed to the way the A looks on their images of that notification. However, I'm sure it is supposed to be an A. The model number for my Hunter thermostat is 44133. The Trane Weathertron thermostat is model BAYSTAT239A. The wiring on my old thermostat was:
G (Green), O (Orange), X2 (Black), Y (Yellow), T (Tan), R (Red), W (White), and B (Blue)
My new thermostat has the following:
Rh and Rc with a jumper, Y, G, W, O, B, W2, Y2, and A
I currently have it connected like this: R to Rh, Y to Y, G to G, O to O, B to B, and X2 to W2 with W and T taped off. I called tech support and they said this was correct but to try taping off X2 and putting W to W2. Neither worked. However, the AC wouldn't work when I tried it again just to check so that is why I think there must be a fuse blown or something else going on. Should I remove the fuse and get it tested? Where would the fuse be located?

Old 10-22-13, 10:31 AM
The thermostat you purchased is not the best choice to operate your heat pump. The fuse location would be located on the low voltage side of your transformer in the air handler. Turn off power to the air handler. If you locate the transformer in the air handler and follow the wires to the relay you should see an automotive type relay probably 3A or 5A. You can tell by looking if the fuse is blown. It appears you have the wires connected to your new thermostat except for the X2 wire. The X2 (black wire) is for emergency heat. The white wire should be for Aux heat strips. I believe the white wire should go to W2 terminal. Aux heat strips come on when the heat pump can't keep up heating the house and also when the heat pump goes into defrost mode. I have attached a photo of what the fuse would probably look like.

Attached Images  

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 10-22-13 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-22-13, 11:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
The old B is C (common).
Tape off B if your new stat doesn't have a C terminal.
Connecting the old B to your new B (reversing valve control to heat) will pop the low voltage fuse.

Old 10-22-13, 11:48 AM
Thank you so much! I will take off the B wire and try to get the fuse replaced then. What should I do with the black X2 emergency heat wire?

Old 10-22-13, 10:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
I'd tape it off if you have the mild winters that we get in the Houston area.
If you are in an area that see's winters dip into the teens or below I would connect it to Aux/E with the white wire.

Old 11-17-13, 08:08 PM
Lightbulb Trane Heat Pump Fails After Maintenance

Well it really wasn't maintenance, but I didn't know how might title. Anyway let's get to it.
My Trane heat pump and air exchange unit is circa 1986. lf money was no object I'd get a new one.

I replaced the siding and needed to disconnect the wires to that heatpump. The HV side was a no brainer to d/c and now power is verified getting to the unit again now. I even upgraded the conduit with more modern materials. The LV side or thermostat side I probably didn't take as much concern and just clipped the 18-8 wire bundle with tin snips. After updating the LV wires to with 18-7 wire thermostat bundle (only 6 wires were in use and you can't get 18-6 wire) nothing happened when I powered the unit up. The schematic showed a relay which I manually pushed*on and the pump started up telling me I have HV. The air exchange blower did not come on though.

After reading the previous threads I'm sure I blew a LV fuse. Looks like I'll be in search of that fuse tomorrow. Wouldn't it be nice if they had a LV power switch somewhere? Maybe there are such things on newer units or maybe an expert unlike a newb like me wouldn't have made such a bonehead mistake and made sure l d/c the transformer first.

Old 01-11-14, 08:42 AM
HI, Have you got the heating fixed? Thanks