Rheem 13PJL series condenser fan runs continuously

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-13, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rheem 13PJL series condenser fan runs continuously

I have a heat pump unit which will heat and cool properly, but the condenser fan runs continuously whether the thermostat is set to heat, cool, or off. There is a circuit board which has two LEDs (labeled quite unhelpfully LED 1 and LED 2) that both blink slowly. Can anyone provide guidance on how to troubleshoot this?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-13, 12:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The condenser fan is the one outside in your compressor unit. If that fan is running then the compressor will be running also.

Are you referring to the blower fan inside the house ?

Old 11-03-13, 06:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
http://www.rheem.com/documents/13pjl...n-instructions

I see nothing about LED's in the heat pump manual.

Old 11-03-13, 08:38 AM
Hi PJmax and Houston204,

Yes, I am referring to the outside cooling fan. The compressor is not running except when it should. I can manually actuate the contactor and the compressor will start.

Thanks for the diagram. It is easier to read than the one inside the electrical enclosure cover. The LEDs are on the defrost control board (DFC) which looks like it controls that fan. However, it also looks like one side of the contactor would have to be engaged to connect the other side of the AC line to the run capacitor and fan motor (orange wire). Hmm....

Old 11-03-13, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
You will need to turn off the power to the compressor unit. Remove the fan wiring from where it is currently connected (being sure to carefully mark terminals for reconnection)

Check each wire from the wire to ground (metal case). You should see no resistance. If you do then you have a shorted winding in the motor.

Old 11-03-13, 09:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the orange wire from the dual cap connected to the side of the contactor that opens when demand is not present?

Is the orange wire from your fan motor connected to the dual cap com terminal?

Is the fan spinning at the same speed when demand is not present?

Old 11-03-13, 10:07 AM
There are no shorts from any motor lead to ground. It looks like the orange wire is connected all the time and only the other side of the contactor is switched. So, the fan is controlled only by a relay on the circuit board. This relay is normally closed and is not getting a turn off voltage (24VDC) when I tested it with the control set to off.

According to the diagram the only connection to the circuit board besides the wires from the thermostat is a connection to a hot gas sensor, high pressure cut-out and low pressure cut-out wired in series. I assume these are to shut off the compressor and would not effect the fan? Can a signal from the thermostat tell the circuit board to run the fan and not the compressor?

Also, upon closer inspection of the circuit board I found a legend that shows what the status of the LEDs means. Both LEDs blinking is indicative of normal operation.

Old 11-03-13, 10:25 AM
Oh, and

"Is the orange wire from your fan motor connected to the dual cap com terminal?" Yes

"Is the fan spinning at the same speed when demand is not present?" Yes

Old 11-03-13, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If your diagram shows the orange wire on the switched side of the contactor, like the one I posted, the orange wire should be moved.

Old 11-03-13, 01:02 PM
I see what you mean. The link that you posted to the manual describes how to force the unit into defrost mode to test it. I did this, and the relay on the defrost board did shut off the fan. I bet this is all this relay is supposed to do (shut off the fan when the compressor is on in defrost mode).

So I swapped the red/orange and black wires on the output side of the contactor as well as the black wire on the line side that fed the other side of the fan motor. The fan now shuts off with the compressor (and defrost mode still works). Thanks for your help. This was not what I was expecting to find wrong. I will definitely be giving my A/C guy a hard time the next time I see him.

Old 07-29-17, 07:36 PM
Follow-up on Rheem condenser fan runs continuously (after contactor replacement)

I'm just posting this to help others.

This thread from 2013
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/he...tinuously.html
has a lot of useful information. e.g. Like inspect the wiring diagram for your AC/Heat Pump model.

I ran into the same issue with my Rheem "JAZ" series (2007) contactor replacement.

I had made the mistake of assuming or following the labeling for T1 and L1 (the 1's ones) of my replacement contactor must be the same and I transposed T2 for T3 and L3 for L2. That wasn't right in my case.

Today, I solved my mistake.After erroneously assuming the DFC (defrost control circuit) must have a bad relay holding the fan circuit open (I replaced the DFC to no avail.) I still had a continuously running outdoor fan.

So... I studied the diagram in the wiring schematic of the manual I got with the install 10 years ago, and finally noticed
the shunt location on the contactor! (The shunt is the wide metal bar connecting load and line terminals on only one side of the contactor.)

Long story short, I'd wired my new contactor incorrectly. So advice to others DIY'ers who make the same mistake, check the old and new contactor as to which side has the elongated "U" metal bar bridging Line (L) and Load (T) sides!

If you have it right, the "shunt" will match the wire color codes in the manual and as shown for the shunted side of the contactor.

The changes in labeling on the contactor models was my issue. It swapped! And once I ignored the lables and looked at what side is switch or not I got it (after paying for it sweat - literally.)

Hope it helps someone else.

Old 07-29-17, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Good job there.

This is actually a good tag along to that other thread so after you reply I will move this reply to that thread.

Old 07-29-17, 07:52 PM
Great, Thanks PJMax! Maybe it'll help the next person.

Old 07-30-17, 06:58 AM
treilly:
thanks for taking the time to report the outcome / resolution of your issue ... I could see myself making this very error - not now.

Old 07-30-17, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Threads combined to keep the two replies together for future reference. This thread will remain in the searchable archives. If you have further questions or problems.... start a new thread and reference this one.

Closed Thread