Best option for unheated kitchen / family room?

Old 11-13-13, 07:29 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best option for unheated kitchen / family room?

I'm posting this question on this board because I think electric is my only option - hopefully I'm in the right place.

Here's the situation. I have a family room that was added on many years ago, and the steam heating system was not extended into the room - instead a small electric baseboard unit was put in on one wall. It's never heated the room great, especially on very cold days, but we've just dealt with it. It seems to be less effective over time.

The kitchen is adjacent to the family room, and until recently we have had a radiator heating the kitchen. We had work done recently, and without getting into details the heating pipes had to be capped & that radiator no longer functions. So now we have two adjacent rooms without an adequate source of heat. What is my best option to heat these rooms? I'm hoping it's not a space heater...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and please let me know if more information (i.e. room dimensions) is needed.

Thanks,
Andy

Old 11-13-13, 08:04 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you have gas in the kitchen for the stove I would suggest a gas wall furnace. However you may need to increase the gas supply to the kitchen. Some wall furnaces have an output on both sides so put it in the wall between the rooms and it will heat both.

Old 11-14-13, 07:15 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Maybe a ductless mini split heat pump - see Ductless, Mini-Split Heat Pumps | Department of Energy for an introduction...

Old 11-14-13, 06:33 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice

I will look into these two options and see what works. I really appreciate the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: