Trane XB80 Heating issues

Old 11-22-13, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XB80 Heating issues

Replaced ignitor
Replaced flame sensor, needlessly
Issue: furnace will ignite and run maybe 15-20 minutes then shuts off, immediately tries to restart. The only thing flashing is fast flash calling for heat. Igniter lights then extinguishes and furnace blows room temperature air. After about 1 hour I can reset it and it will run for another 15-20 minutes.

I have measured voltage on flame sensor it was 14.5 before ignition and 12.5 while flames are present. Measured ignitor and volts were .8 and it still ignited. Low voltage "I've read points to a bad circuit board" indicates a possible bad circuit board. Anyone able tho confirm this?

I purchased a circuit board from a local appliance parts distributor, the one they had on hand. Connected it "Honeywell S9200U1000" started it and it immediately ran 4-1 fault hard lockout, roll out circuit open or previously open. Everything was connected correctly. The furnace would work with original board just not consistent, that leads me to believe the other components are okay and I've tested them all to be okay. I read the code this card gives me and the TS chart has " flue restrictions, heat exchanger restricted, check burner, check rollout switch, and reset rollout if necessary". I've checked rollout, ohms check was good and I tried resetting it but it doesn't seem resettable and can't see this being the issue as it worked for original board. Any help?

Finally I put the original board back in and run heat ever so often to keep house a little warm while I figure this out, anyone got any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-13, 12:14 PM
I prayed about it and woke up this morning temp in house was 59, I was about ready to call a tech in. I prayed some more and The Lord led me to re read the instructions. I was tracing every connection in the main harness connector when I looked at #5&11, rollout switch but on my harness they're is nothing there. Went through all the harnesses and found 1 short jumper wire, so I plugged this wire between #5&11. Plugged in harness, ran heater, and wow THANK YOU JESUS we have heat, working great.

To note I haven't seen the jumper listed in the instructions, prayer works! Thank you Jesus!

Old 11-22-13, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's pretty rare to have a jumper in a location like that. If I didn't know any better I'd say that one of the safety sensors had been previously bypassed.

Are there any missing sensors or a sensor with no wires on it ?

Old 11-22-13, 07:37 PM
PJmax, I looked at the booklet again and the jumper was mentioned in a note. The (rollout ) switch is not on my Trane XB80 so it needs a jumper because the circuit board keeps looking for the rollout switch and when it doesn't find it it locks out.

I think the rollout switch this is all refering to is already wired up in another location on the circuit board. Nothing is bypassed on my system I have 4 limit switches connected in series. 1 thermal switch inside heater, 1 pressure switch, and 2 flame roll out switches.

Old 11-22-13, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
If the jumper was specifically addressed in the companies instructions then it should be legit.

I've seen safety switches randomly bypassed as their application in the system wasn't understood.

Old 11-23-13, 12:57 AM
I don't want to bypass any of the safety switches, they're there for a reason. I'm glad I had to take some time to learn about the furnace.

I just didn't see the jumper on initial reading and didn't associate it with the 12 pin connector as the table above it referenced the 4 pin connector.

Old 11-23-13, 08:36 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You have an aftermarket white rodgers control board that was somewhat universal. The jumper is only used on Trane furnaces. In other applications roll-out switches are present on that circuit that you have a jumper wire. Trane combines their roll-out switches in the high limit circuit.

Old 11-23-13, 10:01 AM
No I have a Honeywell S9200U1000, I needed it yesterday and the local Appliance parts distributor for the public only had one and that's what I'm using.

I would have preferred the Rodgers.

Old 11-23-13, 10:13 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
still the 9200 has that jumper in place on those pins and is ok that it is there for use in your application.

Old 11-24-13, 10:04 AM
Yes it was good, the circuit board came with many different harnesses for if fervent applications, very nice. My furnace is working, with the temperatures outside below freezing. This is great.