Furnace Stopped Working. Questions....

Old 11-28-13, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace Stopped Working. Questions....

Hi all. I know I need to call a pro but I'm looking to get a few basic questions answered first (one of the questions will help determine which type of pro I need to call).

It was working and then I just happened to notice that it hadn't come on in a long time. I had the thermostat set to 69 and the current temp was down to 61 but yet the heat wasn't on. The thermostat said that it should be on.

I switched it from heat to A/C and turned it down to 55 and it still didn't come on. Then I switched the fan from automatic to on. NOTHING.

I made sure the breaker is on -- I switched it off and on several times.

Questions:
  1. I'm not even sure if this is an HVAC issue or an electrical issue. Who should I call in to check this? Electrician or HVAC?
  2. Is it possible that the breaker itself is no longer functional and that IT needs replaced?

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-13, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
This would be an HVAC tech's domain.

What do you have for heat ?

Most systems have a control module behind the access cover. Look for it and see if there is an LED on it. It could be a blown fuse on that module.

You could post the make and model of the furnace/air handler. You'd find it on an ID plate behind the access cover if it's a gas furnace.

Old 11-28-13, 06:14 PM
It's all electric.

Since the fan, AC and heat all refuse to turn on, I thought might just need a new breaker.

Old 11-29-13, 02:50 AM
Group Moderator
Did you try resetting the breakers. There will probably be more than 1 controlling the system.

Do you have any way of checking for power..... non contact tester, meter, voltage tester ?

In your case I wouldn't know who to call. If you call one and need the other you'll still pay for both.

Old 11-29-13, 03:38 PM
If by reset the breakers, you mean turn them off and back on, then yes I did.

I understood about having to pay both - - that's what I'm trying to avoid by attempting to figure out what is the most likely cause.

If I can figure that much out, I'd have a better idea who to call.

Old 11-29-13, 05:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Have you looked for a popped low voltage fuse in the air handler?

Old 11-29-13, 07:25 PM
When I first got the place, I brought in an HVAC tech to inspect it. He showed me what he said was a breaker in the furnace and said that when you pull this handle out, it's off.

I pulled that out and looked at it -- it doesn't look like anything is wrong (yes I put it back in).

I went to visit my grandmother for Thanksgiving -- I'm going to get back to this when I return (yes, I took precautions to prevent frozen water) -- I'll take another look at the breakers when I get back. I'm also going to get a circuit tester.

Old 11-29-13, 08:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
It sounds like you are describing a pull type disconnect. Google breaker panel images to see what a breaker panel looks like.

Last edited by Houston204; 11-30-13 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-09-13, 03:00 PM
Thanks gang for all the advice. I just thought I'd come back and post an update. A friend of mine's FIL came over this morning and looked at it for me (I just got back late Friday night).

He was here less than 10 min and pulled a panel off right near that pull-out disconnect I previously mentioned. Right after pulling off that panel, he said "I think I see your problem". There was a BUSS fuse (to me it looks like a cardboard tube with a brass cap at either end -- and I really doubt if it just actually cardboard, it just looks like that to me) and that inner tube had completely worn through so that it wasn't actually connected to the brass cap.

He pulled that out and we drove down to the hardware store with it. I bought a new one for $2.60 (including sales tax), brought it home and he installed it.

When I turned the main breaker back on, the furnace started right up.

Old 12-09-13, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
There you go..... nice job