Intermittent heat.

Old 11-29-13, 05:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intermittent heat.

Greetings,

Trane System (ac/heat pump), 2 ton, five years old. Seems to be working good - register air 82, room temp 64, outside temp 30, auxiliary heat not engaged. Then, on occasion, and while still running on the same cycle producing 82, the register air goes to 74 for several minutes, then back to 82.

Suggestions?

Edit: I thought the unit was running during this condition (thought I could hear it), but upon further inspection it seems the compressor was running but its fan was off, water dripping from the bottom, then fan came in, register temp back to 82. Is this what I hear called "defrosting". I do not think my other unit, sitting next to the one in question, same model, does this.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-13, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

From your description..... you have a heat pump system.

When the outside unit ices up, the condensor fan shuts off, the reversing valve turns the unit back into an air conditioner so that it can unthaw by using heat from inside the house. During this process the electric reheat coils or backup heat may be active to keep the cold air from the heat pump from causing a chill.

Old 11-29-13, 09:14 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
sure sounds like a defrost cycle ...

if the "on occasion" time is around every 6 hours of run time, some heat pumps (for example, my York unit) perform a defrost cycle so the compressor lubricating oil is redistributed - even though a defriost cycle isn't needed to clear ice.

Old 12-02-13, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the replies, fellows.

Occasionally meaning every two cycles or so. I am pretty sure it was icing up due to the water dripping and "vapor" coming from it.

Although it was 28 - 30 outside, can this "defrost" cycle be a symptom of a problem. I wonder because the other unit was not doing it, although I most say it was set to a lower heating setting.

Regards

Old 12-02-13, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
No....if the unit is sensing an icing problem then it needs to defrost itself.

28f-30f in Florida ..... what's up with that.

Old 12-03-13, 05:10 AM
LOL, I am in SC now, need to change that.

I ask because I heard that when coils freeze it indicates a problem (talking about when on A/C mode). Of course, I know that perhaps freezing at 28 - 30F maybe normal while on heating mode, but is there a point where one should be concerned.

Regards