Filter chose disposable or permanent for Heat a Pump and mold question

Old 11-30-13, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filter chose disposable or permanent for Heat a Pump and mold question

Hi All, We live in three story townhouse with heat pump in basement. Its a Carrier installed in 2009. I'm getting mixed message from folks in the HVAC business regarding which filter to use- we have a washable one with a metal frame, but have also used disposable ones- the pricier 3M style that run $10 and up.
Some say the disposable ones are not as good for cleaning the air, but others say its betters.
Contradicting info from people IN the industry.
We have two cats, not the ugly naked kind of felines but the cute furry kind that shed.
Adding to the confusion is that the disposable ones do get visibly much dirtier ( hubby changes every 2-3 months) than the blue colored washable metal frames style.
We also have a touch of visible mold on the inside of the furnace that can be seen when you remove the cover. How is that best treated?

Please advise.
Thanks,
Mary

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-13, 12:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
I recommend disposable pleated filters. If the filter location is at the air handler, a 4 inch mechanical filter is better than a 1 inch filter. A filter rack would be required.

A duct mounted UV Lamp would also be something to consider.
UVLCC1LP3020-A01 is Carrier's 230 volt single bulb model.
The UVLCC1LP1020- A01 is the 120 volt model.

I have the 120 volt model on my house.

Old 11-30-13, 05:06 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Disposable filters under $6 would be best. The more money the more you can starve your unit for air. Don't dare ad a UV light to that unit. Its to old to have UV rated wire and drain pan in it. Just clean it up with any household cleaner u got.

Old 11-30-13, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
2009 isn't very old.
Why do you hate UV lamps so much? I've really been impressed by what they do in plenums. I've seen them make some ugly looking installs look like new installs from one year to the next.

Old 11-30-13, 08:43 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
2009 is old enough that I bet the wiring and drain pan and insulation is not UV resistant. I don't like UV lights because they normally don't work well. Any A coil you will need at least two lights. They will do nothing for mold any place besides where the light shines. IMO a service contract is money better spent

Old 11-30-13, 09:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The pan will still outlast the coil. A UV light should be in the supply air plenum.
Mold usually starts growing in the plenum.
A service contract is always a great idea.

I replaced all of the flex with metal pipe in my house but still had a musty smell until I installed a UV Lamp. The cost of a replacement bulb and ballast is the only good argument against them. In my opinion every system in humid areas should have one. I think it is a great product.