Goodman Heat Pump. Blower Motor Slows then stops

Old 12-02-13, 04:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman Heat Pump. Blower Motor Slows then stops

Goodman Package unit heat pump model PHKJ036-1, Serial number 0104423004.
The condenser fan, compressor, and Blower motor (air handler blower) all start when calling for heat. Blower motor runs for about 1 minute then slows down during the next minute or two, then stops but tries to keep running (inching around occasionally for another minute or two before stopping completely) but continuing to hum as if trying to run. If I leave the system off for a few minute to an hour (depends on how long it has been on) the blower motor will come back on at what appears to be normal speed then repeat the slowing and stopping symptom after another minute or so.

I've jumped the thermostat to start the compressor and blower separately. When doing this The compressor and condenser fan work fine but the blower motor sounds like it is doing the same thing (Obviously I cannot be outside watching the motor and jumping the Tstat terminals simultaneously). If I turn the Tstat fan switch from AUTO to ON I get the same result. Non-programmable digital Honeywell Tstat installed new Jan 2013.

The capacitance is within limits. I can easily spin the blower with the unit powered off so It doesn't seem to be binding. It is a GE motor 1/3 HP, 208-230 V, 2.3 A, 1075 RPM, 60 Hz.

Do these symptoms point to a bad motor or is there something else that would give the same symptoms?

I am ready to go buy a new motor this morning and hope for the best but if there is another diagnostic move I can perform first I would like to do that.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-13, 10:40 AM
Quick update: I checked the amps on the motor this morning. At first start up, before any symptoms started, the amp draw was normal (2.1 A). After running for a couple of minutes the motor did its usual slow-down-then-stop thing. I checked the amps once the motor had slowed and seemed to be struggling and the meter read 4.6 A. I just finished removing/replacing the blower motor and start capacitor (Changed the capacitor for safety - the capacitance was normal) and everything is back to normal and functioning well after an hour and a half of a heating cycle. Maybe this will help someone else with a similar problem.

Old 12-02-13, 06:36 PM
How old was the motor? and I guess it is out of warranty?