Electric Basebard Heat and Thermostat

Old 12-03-13, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric Basebard Heat and Thermostat

Just added, via contractor electric baseboard heat to my Sun Room (S.E.VA) two Fahrenheat 94", 240 Volt units and a Honeywell T410 T-Stat. Tese are 8.3 Amp units and they come off a 20 Amp circuit. I had a MD 26 Stat on them but it only drove the Temp to about 68Degrees F and then shut off and dropped temp to about 64 Degrees F before restarting. I had the Honeywell stat put on and I see no difference in temp range. Am I expecting too muchor do I have an issuer. As we Say down South HEP.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-13, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
If you actually hear the thermostat shut the contactor off then it is an issue with the thermostat(s). Do you have it mounted over the heater ?

Old 12-04-13, 09:38 AM
baseboard Heat Issue

I do hear the Stat click on and offf and NO, the Stat is on a wall remote from the heaters. Is there a safety switch on the heaters that might be coming on?

Old 12-05-13, 05:46 AM
aseboard heat issue

Gut feel is that it is an issue with the heaters, do they have a thermal timer to keep them from over heating if they cannot satisfy the thermostat?

Old 12-05-13, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
There is an overheat safety switch in most electric baseboards. Usually the only time it would be activated was if the baseboard was covered or blocked.

Old 12-07-13, 07:29 AM
Baseboard heat and Thermostat

Very frustrating, as the system fire3s up, goes to +68 F and then shuts off for about 3 degrees and then re-fires. In my mind the thermostat should be satisfied or the heat should continue indefinitely. Would a mis-wired thermostat cause this problem?

Old 12-07-13, 07:43 AM
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
If your 68 is on the wall, what is the temperature near the stat? With a lot of glass it might be working hard too produce the 68, thus it sees a much higher internal temp and shuts down. Just a guess.

Bud

Old 12-07-13, 08:08 AM
Baseboard Heat and Thermostat

Mercury Bulb and Analog Stats next to wall mount both show +68 F at shut down, with + 80 asked for on the heater Stat ashould she not continue to heat while attempting to satisfy the heater stat

Old 12-07-13, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is it difficult to remove the covers and run with the heating elements exposed ? Maybe that would allow you to observe what is going on, e.g. hot spots, obstructions, safety relays ...
Or just jumper the thermostat connection right at the heater so it should stay on forever - does it ?

Old 12-10-13, 11:31 AM
Electric Baseboard heaters

My take is either the wall mount thermostat is bad (not too likely as it is a second replacement in two weeks) or the emergency overheat thermostats in the baseboard heaters (if that is what they are called) are malfunctioning and shutting system down until the heating elements cool and then reactivating. What do they look like?

Old 12-10-13, 02:40 PM
Electric Baseboard Heat

Problem solved,t was the wall mounted Stat and the issue was that the control knob and the shaft it mounted on were not in sync. I took knob off and the ratchet part the knob sits on was at about +68 F while external knob was full clock wise at an indicated +80 F rotated the ratchet further clockwise re-installed external knob and we are in business.

Old 12-10-13, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Good job..... mystery solved