Compressor/fan do not start

Old 12-11-13, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Compressor/fan do not start

I have a heat pump with a single unit and a 3-zone system. Nest thermostats controlling everything.

My problem: Neither the compressor nor the fan are running when calling for heat...most of the time (which I guess means I am running strip heat and it is costing me a small fortune). This also happens intermittently when running AC...air handler pushes air but no fan/compressor. Fan/compressor seem to work after resetting the breakers and/or cycling the different zones for a while.

Any suggestions? Don't know much about HVAC systems. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-13, 10:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
You have a single heat pump and air handler with a three zone system and three Nest t'stats ?

For starters a make and model of the heat pump system and what brand of 3 zone system ?

It sounds like the zone controller may have a problem.

Old 12-12-13, 05:28 AM
That is correct. Two story home. One zone for downstairs. One for upstairs. Third zone controls the room over the garage only. Nest thermostats controlling all zones, but the problem was present before I put them in.

Rheem unit with a Honeywell zone control board. The correct zones always activate on the board depending on what zone is calling for heat/air, but the outside unit doesn't always come on.

Last edited by stevenfmurray; 12-12-13 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-13-13, 08:34 AM
Update:

Unit is displaying error code L23. Description shows: Lockout - High Pressure Control Trip.

Old 12-20-13, 05:57 AM
In case anyone was wondering about the outcome, had a service tech out and the unit had too much purloin in it causing the high pressure error. Took some out and everything now runs like it should.