Wire Little Giant condensate pump safety switch to Carrier heat pump

Old 12-12-13, 04:14 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wire Little Giant condensate pump safety switch to Carrier heat pump

Several pump questions on my second heating/air system in the basement - here for the second time in one week. On this one, the prior owner never wired in the safety switch for the Little Giant condensate pump to the Carrier.

From what I have read, it needs to be wired into the C or Com wire from the thermostat where it connects to the unit. This wire is brown on my system. Is this the best option? There is no condensate when the pump is on heat, so I'm not real worried about overflow shutting that function down in the winter.... but would it be better to switch the cooling only?

Does it matter which end I wire to which side of the pump safety switch - from the thermostat or to the unit? I am assuming this is a simple switch and it doesn't matter (I get the NC/NO part)?

Thanks for any and all help - I appreciate you guys.

Last edited by dhartlein; 12-12-13 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-13, 10:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 585 Votes on 551 Posts
If there isn't a humidifier to be concerned with........ just break the Y wire that goes to the compressor. This way if the sump overfills it will shut the A/C compressor down.

Old 12-13-13, 03:51 AM
D
Thanks PJ - again! I understand little about heat pumps beyond the compressor is used for both cooling and heat.... will this let me get away with having heat "unswitched" but switching the cooling through the safety switch? It'd be great if it does - either way, I will break the yellow.

No humidifier here by the way. The other setup continues to work perfectly. Thanks again!

Old 12-14-13, 01:12 AM
Group Moderator
Basically.... if the water level overflows in the condensate pump it will shut the compressor off whether it's in heating or cooling. Since heating doesn't generate any condensate... it'll never shut off when you're in heat mode.

You're welcome

Old 12-14-13, 11:36 AM
D
Done! All appears to be working - thanks again! I do have one last question....

Today, I wired the yellow from the thermostat to "COM" on the switch, and the yellow that goes to the compressor to "NO".

On my project last week, I wired "NO" on the pump switch to the furnace "COM", and "COM" on the pump switch to the humidifier and compressor....

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...ml#post2199078

Do these sound right? They seem opposite to me, but maybe this is as simple as it doesn't matter which wire on the pump is wired to which, as long as the switch breaks the circuit when necessary. Please let me know if either of the above are reversed - thanks!

Old 12-14-13, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
On your last project we needed to open two devices and since they both shared a C connection we opened that.

In this, more basic, application just opening one of the compressor lines is all that is needed.
The Little Giant switch has no polarity.

Old 12-14-13, 03:09 PM
D
Thumbs up Thanks again!

They both are working perfectly - I was getting hung up in my head on the "COM" tag on the Little Giant switch instructions....... no problem as there is no polarity, even I couldn't get that one backwards! Clearly COM on the switch means nothing - that's good news.

I do want to pass along a sincere thanks. This house has provided surprise after surprise, many of them caused by the prior owner, or shoddy workmanship over the years..... with your direction I have been able to avoid a potential flood by getting the safety switches properly wired on pumps on both units.

Have a Merry Christmas - and thanks again!