it was 3am and we were COLD!! Issues with TH5220D1003 and Goodman heatpump

Old 12-13-13, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
it was 3am and we were COLD!! Issues with TH5220D1003 and Goodman heatpump

Hello,

First I want to say I have read all I can find about this tstat and nothing seems to help. I tried leaving it off for an hour, checked the filter etc and it still blows nothing but ice cold air on heat. The Tstat and outside unit were replaced about 3 years ago to my knowledge.. its a trailor and we rent.. the landlord is gone til after the first of the year. So Here I am Single mom with 3 kids and no heat! Please help!

-April

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-13, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
update, now its wanting to heat up some (so is the outside temp) but its on Auxiliary heat instead of just Heat..?

Old 12-13-13, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
You need to call the landloard ASAP... He needs to get someone out there to get you heat....

Old 12-13-13, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
I am not sure what leaving a heat pump turned off for an hour in freezing temperatures will do except let the inside of your trailer get even colder making it more difficult to get warmed back up. That might help thaw a frozen unit on a hot, humid summer's day but I have no clue how it could help when it's 20 something outside. So, I would leave it in the on position unless you get advice from a HVAC technician to do otherwise.

Did you have the thermostat off or the temp turned down earlier in the day? Heat pumps work low and slow. Set it to a temperature and do not change it. If the temperature is allowed to drop inside your trailer the heat pump may not be able to recover, especially if your trailer has more heat loss than the heat pump can accommodate.

Since we don't get a lot really cold temps in NC, especially near the coast units are sized smaller than in more northern climates. This year we have had temperatures much below normal, much earlier in the season than normal so your heat pump is probably at it's limit. This morning we were 20f. At that temp it is not unusual in NC for a heat pump to require heat strips just to hold a temp. In a poorly insulated trailer these temps may be too much for the heat pump and heat strips to maintain.

Any time the temperature in the trailer get's more than 2 degrees below the set temperature the auxiliary heating strips will turn on. They work but are expensive to operate so it's usually cheaper to just set the heat pump to a temperature and let it hold that temp even while you are at work.