Trane heat pump stops heating.

Old 12-13-13, 10:13 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane heat pump stops heating.

I have a Trane XL1200 heat pump unit. Its about 15 years old. When it is in heat mode it runs for about 10 minutes then goes in to what I assume is the defrost mode. It blows cold air just like the AC is on. It doesn't ever switch back to heat mode. Any ideas what the problem might be? Thank you.

Old 12-14-13, 01:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not the pro in this forum but it sounds like a problem with the defrost board.

One of the pros will comment further.

Old 12-17-13, 09:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Is the large copper pipe connected to the unit hot, cold, or room temperature when this problem occurs?

Old 12-22-13, 05:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The board should terminate defrost after a set time most have a maximum defrost time of ten minutes or so. If the unit is low on refrigerant or has another sealed system problem it may not ever fully defrost and cause the unit to go into defrost mode at each cycle time set on the board typically that can be set at 30 60 or 90 minutes you can see the pin setting on the board it will have a small black jumper on it. Ten minutes is a long time and can seem like it never kicks back on? Might want to watch it cycle through defrost and check your watch. Also really look at the coils is it actually defrosting the coils while in defrost mode or not? If it does not kick back into heat mode after ten minutes or so you probably have a bad board.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: