my heat pump blower is not wanting to shut off

Old 12-17-13, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question my heat pump blower is not wanting to shut off

Hi,
I have a 2 year old heat pump that has recently started acting strangely. It started when we first turned on the heat for the year. I smelled a strange chemical smell almost like burning plastic. There was the usual burning dust smell that lasted a few minutes and then dissapated, but the weird chemical smell continued for a few weeks and is strongest when the blower first starts up. At the same time, the interior unit, which is located in my attic with a return mounted in the hallway ceiling, started making noises. It seems as if it is trying to stop blowing air but it falters then starts again for about 5 minutes before it shuts all the way off. Sometimes I have to turn off the power to the unit at the breaker box to get it to stop. It is eating up my power bill and the noise and smell is driving me crazy. I have looked at the unit and cannot find any labels or model number (guessing it might be under the unit) and the man who installed it came and said it was working fine. any idea what it could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-13, 10:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Did he verify that the heat strips turn off when demand is not present?

Does your unit blow hot air when you turn Off the heating but turn the Fan to the On position?

Old 12-22-13, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the heat strips are staying on. Most modern units should force the blower on if the heat strips are stuck on but I have seen where a control board goes bad and the heat strips cook along without the blower on unbeknowest to the homeowner. Try that houston trick turning on the blower to manual and see if you have warm air blowing out when the heat is turned off. The heat coils can stay on even if you turn your tstat to the off position if there is a board failure!!