Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Heat Pumps and Electric Home Heating
Reload this Page >

Help! - Where is C-wire connection on heat pump? Where is heat pump control boar

Help! - Where is C-wire connection on heat pump? Where is heat pump control boar

Old 12-19-13, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a HEIL electric heat pump that looks like the ones pictured here; HeilŪ Heating & Cooling. I am trying to find out where the electrical wiring is located for this unit. I would like to find the c-wire connection. The manual says that the electrical wiring is on the control board. I do not know where the control board is. Is that on the unit itself, or is that outside of the building? I live in a townhouse style condo and have not looked outside for a control board yet.

The background to this issue is that I was trying to install a Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat, Model # RTH9580WF, which requires a c-wire as the energy source to make the display light up. My old thermostat wiring has a blue c-wire that was plugged into the c wire connection, but the thermostat also had batteries installed. When I saw the blue c-wire I thought it meant that the wire would work in the new Honeywell thermostat. Unfortunately, after I hooked it all up, the display did not come on. The heat came on, but I could not control it because the display screen was not on. The Honeywell manual says that I should make sure the c wire is connected both at the thermostat and at the furnace. I'm lost as to how/where that connection is on the heat pump. Please help.

Also, could I use another one of the wires to make the display work? I have the following wires O,G,Y,R,E,Aux,C.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-13, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 381 Posts
That unit you are linking to would be the inside air handler. It would have the blower and maybe some electric heating coils in it. The control board would be inside that unit.

On that unit should be a model number. We'll need that to help you further.

Old 12-22-13, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wonder if you might not have turned the correct breaker off when you removed your old tstat? Or if you happened to hook it up wrong it probably shorted the 24 volt circuit and simply blew the fuse on the control board. Should be a 3 amp push in type fuse..... I would go check that right quick it will be inside your air handler on the circuit board.