Auxilliary Heat Lockout Temperature Setting

Old 12-20-13, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Auxilliary Heat Lockout Temperature Setting

I am new to this forum and not too knowledgeable about heat pumps. So please excuse my lack of the proper terminology and even a general understanding of how they are supposed to work.
By way of background information, I recently moved into a brick townhouse at the end of a row that was built in 1980 in suburban Philadelphia, PA. I have 2 heat pumps as my only source of heat and AC. A Trane XL 15i (4TWX5) for the walkout finished basement and first floor is controlled by a Honeywell TH8321U 1006. I am not concerned about the older Trane heat pump which services the upper 2 floors.
I am concerned that the auxiliary heat is coming on to much after I set the temperature back at night. Economy is more of a concern rather than getting the temperature up to the morning set point as rapidly as possible. So I would like to lock out the auxiliary heat at a temperature lower than 40 degrees, which is the lowest temperature that the thermostat seems to allow. Is there a way to do this with the existing thermostat or with the compressor or air handler?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-13, 05:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you have the outdoor sensor?

Old 12-22-13, 05:19 PM
I believe that the honeywell 8000 series can control that for you if you have the optional outside air sensor installed. Pull up the installation manual on line and read through it carefully. Once you get into setup mode you will be able to lock out the heat strips at your desired temp. If you do not have the outside air temp sensor you may have to spend a few bucks to get that installed or DIY. The Honeywell 8000 series have more computing power than the Apollo spaceships computers from a few years back they are absolutely amazing.

Old 12-23-13, 08:21 AM
I do have the outdoor sensor.

Old 12-23-13, 08:33 AM
The installation manual at setup function 360 gives several lock out temperature options, the lowest of which is 40 degrees. I would like to set it lower than that, if possible.

I do have an outdoor air temp sensor installed.

Old 12-30-13, 01:12 AM
There is a 10 degree dead zone between the aux lockout and compressor lockout. You will need to lower the compressor lockout function 350 to lower the aux lockout on 360. In other words if your aux lockout doesn't go lower than 40 degrees then your compressor lockout is set at 30 degrees.

Old 12-30-13, 08:16 AM
Is your heat gas or electric back up?

If it's electric, it's best to set the temp and forget it on HP system.

Old 01-07-14, 11:20 AM
I set the function 350 (compressor lockout) to 15 degrees, the lowest that the Honeywell 8321U would allow. That did not change the settings allowed for function 360 (aux lockout) below the previously set 40 degrees and the aux heat still comes on at any temperature below 40 degrees.