Baseboard heater controls not working

Old 12-21-13, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard heater controls not working

Hello, I am not familiar with heating at all. I just wonder where to begin to look to figure out my issue. We have baseboard heaters in most of the rooms in my home. They all seem to have the same issue. They do not produce any heat unless set on 2 1/2 or 3. What would cause them not to turn on at a lower setting?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-13, 10:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What is the highest setting obtainable? Are these 120 volt or 240 volt units? Is the thermostat integral to the baseboard, or on the wall?

Old 12-21-13, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 381 Posts
Most wall thermostats are marked with temperatures because at the height of the thermostat the temperature in the room should match with the thermostat.

Since your thermostats are probably mounted right on the baseboard heaters..... a thermostat with temperatures would be useless since if you set the temperature at the floor to 70F it would be 80F at six feet.

The numbers will eventually equate with a temperature in that room. What you would do is hang a thermometer on an inside wall of the room. Pick a number to set the heat at and allow it run for several hours. Now you'll know what number gives you the temperature you want.

Electric heat is slow recovery so if you are in a room that is cold and you want to increase the heat.... turn the dial up 1/2 of a number. By turning the thermostat all the way up will not heat any faster the room will just eventually get too warm and force you to turn the thermostat much lower. That is a waster of power.

Name:  tstat.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  22.3 KB

I just randomly placed numbers on a thermostat to show you the correspondence.
You may have more numbers then I've shown.