Gas-type smell only in one room in new property..help!

Old 12-22-13, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gas-type smell only in one room in new property..help!

Hello,

I've recently moved into a newly built groundfloor flat, which has underfloor heating and a heatsource pump.

There is a very odd smell, similar to methane gas that is very apparent in the masterbedroom, but is not in any other rooms. I've tried to see if the smell comes from the airing cupboard, or anything else but not able to find it.

The only methane-gas pipe in the property is located in the kitchen and feeds from the communal point outside the property to the kitchen, and then to the flats upstairs. So no methane pipes run underneath (or so I'm told by the builders).

Its not a sewage type smell, so that has been ruled out.
No glue has been used to stick the carpet down (just underlay and grippers). And its very strange that its only apparent in one room.

If I air out the property, it goes away and then comes back after building up.

The builders say they cant smell anything though, but have admitted they don't have the best sense of smell.

As the heat pump is a bit noisey, I have to close the bedroom door to get some sleep. The smell builds up and I wake up quite groggy, so I'm concerned it could be something harmful.

I also thought it might go after a while, being it a new flat...but I purchase the showflat which was finished back in July, and I've lived in there for 2months.

What can I do to find out what it is? Anyone able to help?

Thanks!

Ravi

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-13, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I suggest calling either the local gas utility. They should be able to test for leaking gas. The fire department should be able to as well.

Old 12-22-13, 04:24 PM
Dude that is skeery. I assume that you are talking about either a natural gas or propane line not methane that runs to your kitchen probably the cook stove? I would have that checked out immediately. You need to make yourself familiar with the gas odor additive it is called methyl mercaptin it (to me) smells like rotten eggs and is very distinctive. If your neighbor or someone you know has a gas grill or something you can get him to release a little bit from his propane tank so you can know what it smells like. A friend of mine had a new house built and had a bad odor in it. As it turned out there was a cat with a bunch of kittens that inadvertently got trapped in the attic and they died not having access to water and food, it stunk to high heaven but did not smell like methyl meccaptan.

Old 12-22-13, 04:42 PM
yeah sorry, natural gas with the additive in. But the problem is, that line that's coming in and shared with neighbours is about 15meters away from the room in question.

Grady - thanks, i'll try get the gas company out.

But any other ideas anyone?

Old 12-22-13, 04:56 PM
quick question what is a quote "airing cupboard"

Old 12-22-13, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
Don't forget the poster is from the UK.

I believe their airing cupboard is equivalent to our utility room. A place where the water heater and house heater would be located as well as possibly some shelves and hanger rods for drying clothes.

Old 12-22-13, 05:27 PM
Uk Hmm yes they did mention it being a flat. Makes sense now. I suspect that the underfloor heating is causing the carpet to off gas excessively. If like the products manufactured in the US it can have everything in it. For new carpets there are VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds). These include toluene, benzene, formaldehyde, ethyl benzene, styrene, acetone and a host of other chemicals, some of which are on the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) list of Extremely Hazardous Substances. Known carcinogens such as P-Dichlorobenzene are in new carpets, as are chemicals that produce fetal abnormalities in test animals. These chemicals cause hallucinations, nerve damage and respiratory illness in humans.

Other compounds in carpeting that affect your health are adhesives, stain protectors, moth-proofing and flame retardants. That "new carpet smell" comes from 4-PC, associated with eye, nose and upper respiratory problems that are suffered by many new carpet owners. 4-PC is used in the latex backing of 95% of US carpets. In 2000 the 3M Company removed the chemical perflouro-octanyl salphonate from their product, Scotchgard, because it had been found to cause reproductive problems in rats. It had also been found in high levels in the wildlife of urban areas. Moth proofing chemicals contain naphthalene, which is known to produce toxic reactions, especially in newborns. Fire retardants often contain PBDE's which are known to cause damage to thyroid, immune system and brain development functions in humans.