electric floor heat vs.electric radiant wall heaters

Old 01-01-14, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electric floor heat vs.electric radiant wall heaters

I got a newer fuel oil heater and I want to get a different heat source there is the radiant heaters that get put on the top of the walls and then there is electric floor heat mats. the up stairs has hard wood floor basement is concrete. what I really want to know is cost to operate floor heat or radiant heat what is more efficient and or cheaper

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-14, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not really my forum but just to get the ball rolling.......

There are many things that have to be considered with this project and some information is needed. You've got a newer fuel oil heater which I'm assuming must be of somewhat high efficiency just because of its age.

You'll need to compare fuel oil prices to electric prices. In some areas electric rates are very low. Here in NJ the rates are high and oil heat is more cost effective than resistive heating.

You live in N. Dakota which I'm assuming is pretty cold in the winter. Electric heat is very slow recovery and using radiant ceiling heat or floor mats may not be enough to keep the home heated.

With electric heat.... it is 100% efficient. Every dollar you spend in heat is delivered in the house. Which is more effective in your application is the question.

Old 01-01-14, 09:22 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
There will be no difference in price to operate one electric heater Vs another. Only difference will be if the watts are different

Old 01-02-14, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you looking at doing a whole room or just a small room like a bathroom?

If you are doing a bathroom, I'd suggest the in floor heat since that will feel great on the feet. I Just did it on our bathroom and it's nice!