HVAC blower working funny.

Old 01-02-14, 09:55 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HVAC blower working funny.

This seems like an odd problem to me, so I came here looking for some advice.

The problem began at the end of the heating cycle. The burner would light, home would reach the correct temp and the fan would keep blowing and after a few hours the only way to stop it was to turn off the circuit breaker. The really odd part was that it would only do this at night, daytime everything works normally. Maintenance guy came out (I live in an apartment) and made sure the filter was clean, and changed the airflow sensor on the unit, and on another visit changed the thermostat. Now with the thermostat switch in the off position and the fan switch in auto the blower will turn on and continue to run until we turn off the circuit breaker, but again this only happens at night. New Years eve it came on at 9:30pm, last night was more like 12:30am.

Any suggestions?

I don't know the make model, the entire unit is mounted on the roof.

Old 01-02-14, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Try this..... after you turn the breaker back on...... put the thermostat in FAN ON mode. The blower should come on. When you put the thermostat back into AUTO mode does the blower shut off ?

You could have one of two problems. A sticking control relay or a defective blower timer/control board problem.

Old 01-03-14, 08:02 AM
Well sounds like the tech did the correct things, I wonder if the roof is stacked with units and he may have accidentally been working on the incorrect unit? Odd things happen sometimes.

Old 01-04-14, 11:16 AM
M
Well it seems like it's finally fixed. On the handyman's 5th visit he replaced a control board and some other stuff (he's not much of a talker and we had to run after him to find out that much) I wish we could have had a qualified HVAC person from the start, but since we weren't paying the tab....... although it almost came to demanding it.

Thanks for the advice it helped us to be better informed and ask more intelligent questions.

"I wonder if the roof is stacked with units and he may have accidentally been working on the incorrect unit?"

Good thought, but they are pretty well separated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: