Heat pump making extremely loud whistle/screaching noise

Old 01-02-14, 11:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump making extremely loud whistle/screaching noise

I have been reading threads on line about heat pumps making these noises and that it's typical. However, I find it hard to believe that I should be able to hear this noise throughout my entire house. I live in a new construction home and had the air guy come check it out and he said it's the defrost cycle and it's perfectly normal. The problem is, my son can't even sleep in his room because it's so loud. It's not just a "whoosh" noise. It's a lous whistle/screach. Wish I could explain the noise better, but I really don't think it is normal. I almost feel as if I've been dooped by the builder because I was never told the unit would make this noise and could have explored other options. I'm paying for square footage I can't even use. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-14, 07:46 AM
Can you take a look at the outside unit and gather up the model and serial numbers and post them so we see what you have? Most modern manufacturers are sensitive to noise issues and will respond positively. Perhaps you have a smart phone that can record the noise event and post it? I would tend to agree that noise during defrost is expected. If you live in a neighborhood of new builds then it is likely that the builder installed the same unit in each home. Check out their units when in defrost and if yours is EXTRA noisy. Then you should feel confident about demanding that the builder fix it.

Old 01-03-14, 10:18 AM
I will definitely get that manufacture information for you and post later this evening. I won't be able to compare it to any neighbors since we are the only house sitting on five acres. We live in the country so he just went with whatever the air guy recommended I would assume. I have watched videos where people explain the noise of the defrost cycle and mine is definitely louder. It's loud enough that visitors have been startled by the noise when in my son's room. Getting my own video of the noise would be nearly impossible since it is random. It always happens, but I never know when it's goign to kick into defrost cycle.

Old 01-04-14, 09:47 AM
Thumbs up

Even the builder grade units with a reciprocating compressor should not be loud enough to cause any concern, there may be an equipment or installation problem that needs to be addressed.

Old 01-06-14, 07:37 AM
I never had a chance to get a picture of the unit thish weekend since I had my 9 month old by myself. The fact that football was on all weekend may have had something to do with it as well. I will do my best to get pictures tonight.

Old 01-07-14, 10:00 AM
Ok, I've attached photos of the only marking on the unit indicating what it is and who made it. I didn't see any manufacturer markings which seemed strange to me. Maybe you guys will understand better than I do.

Also, I had another air guy come check the unit out and he said that we needed to run our heat in auxilary mode? He said that it utilizes heat strips and could be the root cause of the noise since the heat strips have never been utilized? He said to always use auxiliary mode when the temperature drops below freezing. My wife did some research and read that auxiliary mode should only be used if your heat pump is messed up? I really have no idea here. Hopefully someone can clarify for me?

Attached Images   
Old 01-07-14, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
No Pro...but here goes...

Aux heat is supplemental heat when the temp drops below the operating range for the HP or the temp differential in the house is more than the unit can recover in a reasonable time (determined mostly by stat settings, you can normally lock it out completely).

The same aux heat supply (electric strips normally) are used as EMERGENCY heat when the HP is broken for some reason. Very expensive to operate in that mode.

I'm sure the Pros can ID who actually made your unit...but it's not uncommon for regional companies to take parts from suppliers and build their own systems. My place in VA had a Carrier outside unit, but few identifying marks on the furnace and air handler inside.

Old 01-07-14, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info. It seems like it next to impossible to get a straight answer from some of these guys (my air guy and the builder. not you guys on the thread). My main concern remains with the noise that the unit makes. I swear it could wake the dead. It only last for maybe a second or two, but it's freaking loud. I'm just trying to determine whether I should be fighting with my builder and air guy to get new units or repair the issue. I don't know enough about it to have a legitimate argument when discussing it with them.

Old 01-07-14, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
You can always get the manufacturers rep involved if it comes to that. Once you find out who that is of course.

Being that you are in new construction...you have more options than if it were a 10 y/o home.

Old 01-08-14, 08:57 AM
I think YHJD... is a York number.
In the past I've seen complaints about "moose call" noises on defrost of various York units - would "moose call" fit your noise ?

Last edited by dsomerv; 01-08-14 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-16-14, 08:06 AM
I can't say that I have ever heard a moose call If a moose call sounds like an airy high pitched whistle, then the answer is yes. I will youtube a moose call on lunch and get back with you. haha.

Old 01-17-14, 10:15 AM
Ok, I actually went and googled "moose call" to see if that sound had any resemblance to the sound I'm hearing come from my machine. The answer is no. It does not sound anything like a moose call. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds similar to an air brake releasing pressure. The noise you hear when the trash truck shows up outside your house. Similar to that, except at a higher pitch. Imagine that same airy pressure let off sound but at a higher pitched whistle. I would say it's about as loud as an air brake too. I wish there was a better way to describe it, but it can't be normal. I have two units outside my house and only one of them makes that noise.

Old 01-17-14, 10:32 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Most likely the reversing valve. The sound you hear is the woosh of refrigerant when the valve reverses. IF it's really that annoying, perhaps you can have somebody change the valve. It may or may not fix that issue.

Old 01-17-14, 12:31 PM
Thanks. I will see about getting that replaced. It definitely IS that annoying. I can deal with those types of noises usually, but when I can hear it on the complete opposite side of my 1 level 2,700 sqft house, it's pretty dang loud. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my son can't even sleep in his room because of it. I appreciate all of the help from this board though. I couldn't seem to get a straight answer from the builder or the air guy, so at least now I have some ammo to go to them with.

Old 01-18-14, 10:54 AM
on my York defrost control board they added a compressor delay jumper - so that when that the compressor is turned off for 30 seconds before and after the reversal. THis was added to upgraded boards to address what I'd seen referred to as the moose call - but I think that it is a variation of the whoosh that is heard when the reversing switch operates while the compressor is running. The more deliberate: stop compressor, pause, throw reverse switch, pause, start compressor apparently eliminates the noise. I know the delay jumper is on my control board - though I've never used it since the noise on mine is not objectionable - but don't know if your control board is so equipped. But, since York went to the trouble of adding it to deal with such complaints, maybe they would do something for you deal with a "known problem" - or maybe there's an updated defrost dontrol board for your unit.