Blower not working

Old 01-02-14, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blower not working

hi guys. please excuse me, i'm not an hvac guy. here's my problem. a few days ago, the blower on my unit stopped working. the heater part tries to come on, but cuts off when the fan doesn't blow. over the last few days I have turned just the blower on, and it will come once or twice a day for maybe 5 minutes then stop. when it does blow, it moves a good bit of air. my question is: could it be a bad switch, some circuit board, or something like that?? if anyone needs details, I will try and get them.... would appreciate any help at all

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-14, 08:57 AM
Hello Doug. How old is this puppy? First just try your fan by turning the tstat switch fan to on. If it still acts up then we have either a capacitor or motor problem most likely. Capacitor is a cheap quick easy part swap. I would try that first. If that is not it then most likely the motor is bad and will have to be replaced. (If it still acts up in fan on mode if not and it runs normally then you probably do have a controls problem)

Old 01-03-14, 10:08 AM
the unit is just over a year old. have tried just the fan, it will come on and run fine, but shut off after a few minutes. that's the big thing, when it runs, it sounds fine, no clunking, rattling or anything.

Old 01-03-14, 10:26 AM
Doug It "sounds like" we either have a serious air flow restriction problem causing the motor to overheat or a bad (wrong sized) capacitor or a bad motor. Now one important point manufacturers are not foolproof on installing the correct capacitance of capacitors. Most electric motors will have a tag on them that states the actual electric motor manufacturers recommendation for capacitor sizing. IF you can SEE that tag on the motor be sure to replace with the size that matches your motor and not just blindly replace with the same size that is in there. I would replace the capacitor as a first step since it is cheap and easy. Probably less than 10 bucks even at retail and most likely in the 5MFD range. Just be sure to do some research here on the site before tackling the project. All power must be cut off and the capacitor discharged before touching it!
Other than that we will need to get our meter out and do some hot checks (requires some skill to do safely not recommended unless you have some electrical knowledge and skills)