Compressor cold start

Old 01-03-14, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Compressor cold start

THE SUN HIT MY THERMOMETER ON MY HEAT PUMP AND TRICKED IT TO START IN -25 C INSTEAD OF MY OIL FURNACE.WHEN IGOT HOME FURNACE FAN RUNNING AND HEAT PUMP TRIPPED ON LOW PRESSURE.IS THIS LOW PRESSURE CUT OFF RESULT OF COLD WEATHER. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-14, 09:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
A low pressure switch trip can occur if your run cooling on cold days.

The thermostat should not be located where direct sunlight can hit it.

Old 01-04-14, 08:40 AM
Dear houston it is not the thermostat that got sun .i live in canada and my heat pump is automaticaly shut off at -12 c by a switch at heat pump that looks like a thermometer and oil furnace takes over.what happen was -25 c for 4 or 5 days then sun came out strong in afternoon and tricked heat pump switch thinking it was above - 12 c .when home from work furnace fan running heat pump tripped on low pressure switch.did compressor start and it was too cold for gas to circulate and tripped.could this have happened. Thanks in advance

Old 01-04-14, 10:13 AM
OLDONE Holy cold weather lol -25C is equivalent to what about -13f???? Yes I would say it is very possible that it kicked out on low pressure if it is a air to air unit LOL

Old 01-04-14, 11:22 AM
You are right former member -25 c is -13 f.temperature here is back up to -8 c.reset heat pump turned it on and started up and is running great .getting 14 to 16 f temperature rise. Thanks again.

Old 01-04-14, 11:31 AM
Brrr glad you got it going. Do you know if you compressor utilizes a crankcase heater? Might want to check it to make sure that it is functioning in that frigid frozen wasteland up there, not sure I could live in Canada lol. We have some of your cold weather coming to middle TN on Sunday night. Supposed to be around 2f here and that is quite cold for this area.