Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Heat Pumps and Electric Home Heating
Reload this Page >

Honeywell Thermostat clicks and says "Wait" before set temperature is reached.

Old 01-08-14, 05:38 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a Honeywell touchscreen thermostat. Not sure of the model at the moment (maybe the 7500). I have a hybrid heat system (gas and a heatpump). When it is really cold the thermostat will click and the system comes on to heat the house. After a minute or two and before the set temperature has been reached there thermostat clicks again and "Wait" appears on the screen. I know this is time delay compressor protection. It then will run another minute or so and stop before the set temperature has been reached. After five or so minutes "Wait" disappears from the the screen. Within a couple minutes the thermostat will click and it will start the whole process over. It does this continusaly. I had a professional tech come out and look and was told it was weird and he wasn't able to really recreate the problem which was not true because it was doing it when he left. Thank you for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-14, 09:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Does the gas furnace run before "Wait" appears on the screen?
Will the gas furnace run when you set the stat for emergency heat?

Old 01-08-14, 10:21 AM
J
Thank you for the response. Yes it does run before "Wait" appears on the screen. If i set it for emergency heat i get the same behavior. It's almost as if it turns on for only a minute or two and the thermostat clicks again like it wants to stop but it hasnt run long enough so the compressor protection, the "Wait", causes it to run a few more minutes then it clicks again and stops without reaching the desired temp.

Old 01-08-14, 10:54 AM
J
Thank you for the response. Yes it does run before "Wait" appears on the screen. If i set it for emergency heat i get the same behavior. It's almost as if it turns on for only a minute or two and the thermostat clicks again like it wants to stop but it hasnt run long enough so the compressor protection, the "Wait", causes it to run a few more minutes then it clicks again and stops without reaching the desired temp.

Old 01-08-14, 05:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does this system have a fossil fuel kit?

If i set it for emergency heat i get the same behavior.
You get a Wait display when you set the stat for emergency heat?
This would be odd. Post the model number of your stat.

Old 01-25-14, 01:44 PM
J
Sorry for the long delay in reply. The thermostat is a Honeywell RTH7600.

Old 07-31-14, 06:53 PM
J
Hi JedW76, I am having a similar problem with our A/C and I have the exact same model of thermostat . Did you find out the cause, a bad stat? Thanks.

Old 07-31-14, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have a dual fuel system with a fossil fuel kit it will turn off Stage 1 heat when stage 2 is in demand since you shouldn't run the heat pump and a gas furnace simultaneously.

After stage 2 is satisfied stage 1 is re energized but the balance of the 5 minute timer is required.

Does this seem to apply to your application?

Old 08-01-14, 06:27 AM
J
Hi Houston2014, thanks for you reply. Unfortunately, I have a single-stage system. The background is our A/C went out a month ago and a local HVAC company replaced it with a Lennox 13ACX unit and matching indoor coil. We have been having problem with loud startup noise and after several trips they decided it's the contactor and replaced it yesterday. Then we noticed this issue and the technican said it is the thermostat (without further testing).

Apologies if this is not the right forum, but my search of this issue led me to this page. I am going to try a different stat today but wanted to get some thoughts as well.

Old 08-01-14, 12:14 PM
J
Update: It turns out to be the stat. I put in a new one at lunch time and so far it has been working fine. It seems this particular model (Honeywell RTH7600D) has a quality issue. I purchased mine in November 2012.

Old 08-01-14, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for posting back with a follow up.