Rust on floor

Old 01-09-14, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rust on floor

During this recent cold snap on the east coast USA, my electric furnace had a hard time keeping up. This alone is not surprising to me. What was a bit surprising was that, when I went to the basement, there was a small puddle of rusty water on the floor where the drain pipe for the furnace is. I'm used to seeing water there in the summer because the pipe doesn't quite line up with the floor drain, but seeing water there now--and that it was rusty--was alarming.

The furnace appears to be working now as well as it did before the below-zero temps hit, and there aren't any strange noises or smells coming from the unit. In that respect I'm not worried that there's going to be some huge catastrophe coming my way, but I'm a bit concerned that this indicates some sort of deterioration in the line at some point that I need to keep an eye on or call for service to get cleaned up.

(Note: I'm not a terribly handy guy, and the two things I don't like to fiddle with are electric and plumbing because the penalty for failure is way too high. This combines both those things, so I'd definitely be calling for service if anything needs to be done.)

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-14, 08:03 PM
Is this pipe going to the A/C coil on the furnace?

Old 01-12-14, 03:18 PM
Sorry about the lack of response. I have this set to give me notifications but it clearly did not.

The pipe is just the regular drain pipe that comes from the indoor unit. I have no idea what happens to it once you get past that point.

Old 01-12-14, 09:47 PM
Is it still doing it? If it is, check to make sure the A/C unit outside isn't running.