Baseboard Heat Question

Old 01-12-14, 06:33 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard Heat Question

Newly installed baseboard heaters (two 8 foot,1500W,240 Volt controlled by wall T-Stat). When I turn the system on and rotate T-Stat full hot she starts up, but instead of giving instant full heat she seems to go full hot, then back off and go to moderate heat and then back to full heat (before T-Stat is satisfied), is this normal? System works well (on exterior Sun Porch, but seems to take a long time to come up to full heat).

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-14, 06:45 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I am unaware of any electric baseboard heaters that have multi-stage operation. I am also unaware of the existence of multi-stage thermostats for baseboard heaters. That means that your heaters are either on or off, no intermediate level. Turning the thermostat to the highest position won't cause the room to heat any faster than if the thermostat is set to the desired temperature.

That stated, your heaters probably do have an overheat safety thermostat built into them that will cut the power if the heater itself is overheating. This overheating could be caused by anything that blocked the free flow of air into the bottom of the heater or out the top.

Old 01-13-14, 06:36 AM
What's the make and model of your t-stat and baseboards?

Old 01-13-14, 07:44 AM
A
Per other reply, these units are either on or off, so there should be no "moderate heat" level. How did you wire them - with 12/2 wire to one 20 Amp breaker? I just want to make sure that a neutral didn't sneak in there...

Old 01-13-14, 08:07 AM
V
Thermostat is a Honeywell CT410B and heaters are Fahernheat 25408 ,8 foot 1500 Watt items. I have two and they work well although occassionally I hear a loud POP from one. Just weird how it appears as if they come on and are slow to heat up.

Old 01-14-14, 05:55 AM
V
Baseboard Heat

The wiring is 12/2 and controlled by a 20 amp breaker.

Old 01-14-14, 10:47 AM
V
baseboard heat

Since all else is constant, I am assuming the internal T-STAT is sensing an overheat and shutting here down until a non-critical condition is sensed. Thanks for all input.

Old 01-16-14, 07:04 AM
V
Baseboard Heat

Last post. The issue now is when I turn the system on and go full hot it takes over 30 minutes for the system to give any appreciable amount of heat, yes heat comes but it is almost impossible to feel it, the units get mildly warm but good heat does not flow. Do I assume the internal overheat stats in the units are keeping her form going full hot from the get go? Time fo a HVAC or electrician I think.

Old 01-16-14, 02:49 PM
F
Unless you have the airflow through the units severely blocked it is doubtful that the internal safety thermostats are the problem. I would be willing to bet that your problem is electrical and outside the heaters. Do you want to troubleshoot this yourself?

Old 01-16-14, 04:14 PM
V
Baseboard Heat

Willing to try and resolve myself, however, where to start. Mis-wired T-Stat or mis-wired heaters. The voltage is at the heaters, current is flowing so what next?

Old 01-16-14, 04:28 PM
F
You need to measure the voltage at the heaters when the thermostat is calling for heat. Unless you have a 208/120 volt service derived from a three-phase system you should be getting 240 volts when the thermostat is turned up and zero volts when it is turned down. Be careful as that voltage can kill you.

Old 01-17-14, 05:13 AM
V
Baseboard Heat issue

I have 240V at both units when Stat is on and "0" voltage with Stat off. Thes units are in line I guess in parallel if that is correct terminology, 240 V to first, then 240 v line to second. This is the second Wall TSTAT I have installed, the first was a Marley 26 and would not go above +68F before it shut off for about 3 degrees and then restarted. Replaced it with the Honeywell and same issue, pulled faceplate on Honeywell and discovered when dial was rotated full hot, the foot attached to the shaft on dial did not push the sensor all the way hot, was able to move the sensor over so that it went both full hot and full off as rotary dial indicated. I am at a loss unless safety STAT is bad or wall mount TSTAT is not hooked up properly. Do I need a professional to come in?

Old 01-17-14, 02:49 PM
F
You did use a real voltmeter measure and not just a "click tester" or neon light tester to determine that you do indeed have full voltage I assume. If yes, then I have no idea of what the problem may be UNLESS by some chance you got baseboard heaters that are rated for 277 or 480 volt operation.

Sorry, but that is all I have to offer.

Old 01-18-14, 06:11 AM
V
Baseboard Heater Issue

If indeed a safety STAT is bad or malfunctioning can a
TECH troubleshoot?

Old 01-23-14, 05:11 PM
B
Chk all elect connections, Is T-Stat too close to heaters directly above ??
Get some pig tails and connect two 120v light bulbs in series across the 220v,
at the heaters, will give you a visual ref of volts at heaters

Old 01-24-14, 06:10 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Since you have voltage across the heaters, yet they are not heating, no or little current is flowing.
If you have a clamp-on current meter - measure the current.
The current should be ~= 1500/240 = 6.25 amps.

If you don't have a current meter, power off . disconnect wires at heaters, check the heater resistance with an ohmmeter.
If these are 1500 watt heaters, then resistance should be approximately
r =v**2 / W
= 240*240/1500
= 38.4 ohms
If open circuit, i.e. infinite or very high resistance - either the heaters have failed or fusible link or resettable fuse or protective device has opened - or you've got the wrong heaters.
It's hard to imagine they've both failed -are you sure they're in parallel. Or maybe they're 120v heaters which would overheat / blow ... can you check the specifications on a nameplate.

Also for troubleshooting, since they are in parallel (we think) disconnect one of them and concentrate on one heater at a time.