Issues with heating system, completely new to this.

Old 01-12-14, 10:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Issues with heating system, completely new to this.

We just bought a house that has a Trane heat pump, and a back up electric furnace, with a digital Honeywell thermostat. No manuals for anything. When we first got the house the power was disconnected and it was frigid cold out. We got the power back on, but 'heat' was blowing cold air. We let it run for a bit, no improvement so we tried other settings. Once we out it on 'EM heat' it worked fine, and we were in business. Not realizing how heat pumps function (and not looking it up because we had SO much other stuff going on), we left it there. Now here we are, $576 electric bill later, I've done some research and understand that the emergency heat, running the electric furnace all the time, is not very efficient. Lesson learned. However, my issue is, putting it back on regular heat setting doesn't seem to work. Cold air blows, no heat, won't maintain house set at 68 when it's 52 degrees outside. Now, my question is, wether the heat pump works or not, which clearly it does not, shouldn't the aux heat automatically kick back on?
I know I have a lot more research and trouble shooting to do with the pump itself, I was just curious if anyone knew of this happening, if it's common and a simple fix. The wiring on this thermostat is a big rats nest of wires, but I would think if the aux heat works on em setting that it should still come on as back up, no?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-14, 06:25 AM
When it was on heat mode, was the outdoor unit running?

May not be a bad ideal to have a good service company to come in and give the system a good once over, and show you how the system works.

Old 01-16-14, 08:04 AM
Sounds like your heat pump either not running at all or you may be low on charge. Check the normal filter, evaporator coil and be sure that they are each clean as this will affect the operation. Let us know what those 2 items look like and if the heat pump outside is running, if its low on charge you need to get a tech out there. To answer if the electric should always kick on; if the heat pump cannot maintain the demand, the electric heat will automatically generate heat. Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-14, 11:01 AM
When Jay11j asked "when it was on heat mode" ?? I am wondering if I am missing something. Although my thermostat has a heat, cool, and auto setting, I always set it to auto with the heat cool temps set. Never have I set it to cool or heat but just auto. Does not all heat pump thermostats have that option? I have read many times that people said they set it to heat or cool, don't they have a auto position (not talking about the fan setting)

Old 01-16-14, 07:03 PM
What is your set temps, and then what is the room temp? Also when the system is running, is the outdoor unit running?