replacement for NEST with 2 stage heat/cool HP w/AUX?

Old 01-21-14, 11:20 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacement for NEST with 2 stage heat/cool HP w/AUX?

Currently have a Goodman GPH1542 HP package unit (2 stage heat/cool HP) with a 2nd gen Nest. The package unit has a single 15K aux heat strip.

Correct me if I am wrong - the NEST does NOT support 2 stage heat and AUX heat. (And from what I have been reading most of you guys don't suggest NEST with any modern heat pump anyway)

If it is true that NEST does not support 2 stage heat + AUX then my setup must currently be only using 1 stage of heat and then switching to AUX?

Nest wiring:
GPH1542 Terminals:

What Thermo do you recommend?
Notes:
- I don't absolutely have to have another app-controlled thermo but it is kinda neat.
- I do like the idea of the system knowing the outdoor temp so that AUX can be locked out until the outdoor temp drops enough to justify the $$15KW$$ strip and also lock out the HP below a certain temp. The only way to do that is with internet-supplied temp data or an external sensor right? (I can easily run wires for a sensor if needed)
- Programmable? This is a feature I can always just choose to ignore until I need it. Since most of you are recommending to "set it and forget it" with a HP should I even bother with a programmable thermo? My roommate is unemployed and is in and out of the house at all hours and kinda confused the heck out of the nest algorithm anyway.

Old 01-23-14, 05:24 PM
I
In an effort to get heap pump heat beyond stage 1, I rewired the thermo. Since i suspect the thermo does not support 2nd stage heat (Y1+Y2) i jumpered W1 with Y2 since the nest considers that AUX heat. I then moved the wire for W1 (heat strip) to * and set it up in the nest as emergency heat. This will hopefully give me the second stage of heat pump and if it really gets cold I can switch to emergency heat.

Does this sound right? I am still thinking I need to replace the nest with something else and am open to suggestions.

Old 01-23-14, 05:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Your Nest stat will support your 2 stage heat pump with electric heat strip for Aux heat. I would put the wiring back to the original positions.

I'd pick the Honeywell Prestige IAQ, The Prestige or the retail version of the Prestige over the Nest stat but it is not a terrible stat.

I have installed some Nest thermostats when homeowners have requested them.

When asked for a recommendation I always choose the Honeywell Prestige IAQ 3.0

Old 01-23-14, 06:23 PM
I
You were right about the 2nd stage heat. It was just a software setting in the nest. I reversed the wiring changes. Testing now.

Last edited by itguy30907; 01-23-14 at 06:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: