York Heat Pump (E4FD030S06A) Fault Code 2

Old 01-26-14, 06:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Heat Pump (E4FD030S06A) Fault Code 2

Hi, Our heat pump has been going into lockout. flashing code 2 on EM light. We've had two techs out, first one , checked Freon levels, which he said were fine, changed my air filter which was due, and didn't seem to have any other ideas but thought it may be a lose wire so he re-twisted some wire nuts and then charged me $260, then it happened again. so I called them back. Second guy checked Freon levels again, went up into the attic to check the indoor coils, spent quite a bit of time there and his conclusion was that the defrost control board needs to be replaced. They charged me another $260 for the diagnosis, and want another 540 to change the board. I ordered the board myself for $70 and am going to change it myself, I figure it's worth a shot. Does this sound right to you guys? What else should I check, thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-14, 07:42 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Step one would be to find out what fault code 2 is. Do you have the install manual ? Maybe one will come with your replacement board installation instructions. Sometimes there is a decal on the inside of the access panel cover that lists the fault code meanings.
I'd be skeptical that the board needs to be replaced, since it's able to run the unit and dish out fault codes.

On my York for example, (a completely different board) one flavor of 2 flashes is a "soft lockout" indicating issues related to either too high or too low pressure detected - could be a bad switch or connection too ... the other flavor is for a bad temperature sensor. But chances are yours is different.

Old 01-27-14, 08:54 PM
J
From what I've read this means "Discharge pressure reaches 400 psig"

Old 01-27-14, 09:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,042 Votes on 966 Posts
From what I've read this means "Discharge pressure reaches 400 psig"
High discharge pressure is usually caused by poor airflow thru the air handler. Dirty filter, blocked return vent(s), too many supply vents closed down, dirty evaporator coil.

I don't think the defrost board is the problem here.

Old 01-28-14, 07:52 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
a longish shot - but it happened to me - a bad connection at the highPressureSensor - check: at the sensor, at the contacts to the board, the lead wires for damage / corrosion.

also - perhaps an expert (PJmax?) can answer this: is it the case that the liquid line becomes hot to the touch when there's inadequate airflow in the handler to remove the heat from the coil ?

Old 01-29-14, 07:48 PM
J
I replaced the board, as expected that did not fix it. fault code 2 flashing again (pressure over 400psig) I looked at the pressure switch wires when I was replacing the board, they seemed ok. Is there a way to check the switch? I'm starting to think that maybe the system is just overcharged...we had it recharged back in September when I noticed the line freezing up. Maybe the guys that came and checked the Freon charge aren't use to checking heat pumps, especially with the temps being in the teens and 20s here... Would that explain the behavior?

Thanks

Old 01-29-14, 07:51 PM
J
sorry, forgot to mention that airhandler seems to be functioning properly, filter is new, indoor coils look clean. one of the return vents was closed a bit, but I opened it up and it still locked out after that. I'm really thinking that it may be an overcharge.