thermostat emergency heat automatic?

Old 01-28-14, 12:05 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thermostat emergency heat automatic?

Should my thermostat switch to emergency heat automatically? I have installed a Honeywell programmable thermostat about 7 years ago.

I don't see how it can switch automatically since it does not have a sensor to know the outside temp assuming that's how it works.

I've had highs at 10f and lows of -1 with -15 wend chills the last few weeks and have been using the emergency heat! I have a all electric house where I live it's cheaper than anything else.

To my understanding the heat pump alone In those temps would be useless. I'm starting to think using a couple portable heaters would be cheaper than using emergency heat.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-14, 07:20 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
ON my heat pump, York, the outside unit control board switches from heatpumping to Emergency heat, sending the signal to the handler to activate all resistance heaters, when the ambient is below 5F... but I prefer to do it myself and make the switch manually usually ~10F.
The only possible advantage of portable electric heaters over emergency heat is that you'd only heat a small space - okay if you don't care if the whole house is comfortable. Otherwise, the EM HT is equally efficient, probably quieter and more even. Electric resistance heat is 100% efficient - so it doesn't matter if you're heating with EM HT, portable heaters, a toaster, your refrigerator, electric lights - all the energy stays in the house .

Old 01-30-14, 03:36 AM
D
I don't know i'm sick of $350 electric bills. It has been way colder than average right now it's 4f outside.

I guess i will call a HVAC tech to come out and check the system the last guy said i had a freon leak that he could not find and he has been re-charging the system ever year or so. Apparently it needs freon to produce heat as well?

Old 01-30-14, 07:42 PM
Are you using program mode on your t-stat? (lower temps at night)

HP with electric heat strips are cheaper to run leaving it on one temp. No need to cut off the HP and using heat strip only!