220 wiring for geo heat pump

Old 02-07-14, 07:01 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220 wiring for geo heat pump

I"m changing the heat pump, the current heat pump is supplied by 1 220 40 amp breaker in the main svc, then by the heat pump there is another buss style fuse panel with 2 40 amp fuses in it, Can i do away with the buss fuse panel and just put in a junction box, and also what are the requirements for location as I want to move it as right now it hangs down from the ceithing on 2x4's and board in the basement in front of the unit, would like to locate out of the way ,I have a duel fuel set up the second being a oil furnace????

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-14, 07:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Wow, you have a dual dual system that includes a geothermal heat pump and an oil furnace? I have never heard of that combination before.

You should have a service disconnect at the unit. A j-box isn't a good idea if it means losing a fused disconnect. You will need to check your local codes to answer your question but I would try to keep the disconnect withing 10 feet of the unit.

Old 02-07-14, 07:25 PM
A
Just a Geo system and oil furnace back up, for when the temp dip below -20, Your right to keep the fused disconnect.
Can it be mounted near a pressure tank and directly on the wall, how high off the floor and away from stuff, behind the heat pump on the wall ? oil furnace on the right side, sump pump on the left ???

Old 02-07-14, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,042 Votes on 966 Posts
Yes....it can be mounted just about anywhere as long as it's in sight of the unit.

Old 02-07-14, 07:43 PM
A
I have heard that the box has to be mounted to a separate piece and then to the building is this true????
would you recomend going to a breaker instead of the buss style disconnect???

Old 02-07-14, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,042 Votes on 966 Posts
If it's an outside foundation wall a piece of wood mounted first will keep the metal box from sweating and rusting.

You are not required to use a disconnect with fuses or breakers.... you can pick up an unfused disconnect and that would be fine. Basic disconnects use a pullout handle and since your load is 40amps you'd need to use a 60A disconnect. Should be under $20.

The over current protection device is the one at the panel and that needs to match your equipment requirements.