Need advice on replacing furnace what type any issues

Old 02-24-14, 10:33 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice on replacing furnace what type any issues

I have a 900 sq ft mobile home the exterior has vinyl siding and a shingled roof The interior has drywall and some paneling the floors are Laminate expect for the 2 bedrooms are carpet. All the duct work is under the floor and the crawl space underneath is insulated, The current furnace is 14 years old & electric and is 56,000 BTUs The home is all electric and sets on a rented lot in a park.

Right at the moment I am considering 4 options

Replace with a new electric furnace which would be easiest and I could do myself. Looking the furnace it is like most others I have seen in a mobile home It just sits on the duct work and the heat is forced down

Replace with a wood stove which I may be able do myself but I would have to find out about my insurance and the state or county regs, Home is in eastern Ohio

Replace with a propane furnace Since it would be a new set up I am not sure what is involved and if it would possible to do my self I am assuming it could get expensive Have to have a furnace, tank run line from tank to furnace Have to tie into existing duct work and vent it outside somehow.

Install a heat pump which would be the most expensive since I know nothing about them and what is involved in setting 1 up

The plan right now is decided in next month which way to go and to get every thing done by September. Like a lot of folks money is definitely a concern. But need to do something cost of heating this home has got way out of control

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-14, 08:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
It is unlikely that a new electric furnace will be more efficient than your existing electric furnace.

A propane furnace could be the most expensive option initially. Refilling the propane tank can be a little costly as well. It might give you the greatest comfort.

I have only seen wood stoves in movies so can't say much other than I wouldn't want one to heat my home.

I think a heat pump would be the the option that I would most consider for that application. You would also have the benefit of cooling.

Old 02-26-14, 06:32 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think eastern Ohio might be too cold in the winter for sensible operation of a heat pump.

I would ask around the people in the area that have heat pumps.

Old 02-26-14, 06:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
That is a good point. The winter temperatures in that area may be too low to make a heat pump a good option.