HELP..electric furnace problem

Old 02-25-14, 03:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP..electric furnace problem

Purchased and installed brand new electric furnace in my home. (Winchester model WMA 48-12)

I am getting a flash code of "multiple limit openings during one call for heat". Was told this was an overheat issue. Once temperature is reached according to thermostat, the heat coils will shut off but the fan constantly runs.

Since then I have added a vent on my return air duct as well as added a vent in the basement. Still same problem

If I take out jumper wire to run only half of the coils, the furnace runs and shuts off OK but is not sufficient enough to keep the house warm.

With the jumper wire installed I can see entire coil cycle on and off every 15-20 seconds producing great heat while on.

What do I need to do in order to run this furnace properly?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-14, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There are a number of jumpers on the board. Did you set the jumper from "no heat" to "heat" ?
That unit has a multiple speed fan that gets set to the speed that moves the required amount of air to keep those coils at normal heat. Did you try increasing the fan speed one setting ?

A link to the install manual.....
Global industrial /wma-airhandler-installation.pdf

Old 02-25-14, 08:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Might be a good idea to call a professional contractor to check the external static pressure and set the correct fan speed for your heat strip size.

Old 02-26-14, 12:48 PM
T
Thanks for the replies.

Jumpers are in correct locations, and I have tried different fan speeds.

I believe my problem is insufficient airflow, which brings me to me next question.

How do I know how much/ what size venting that I need? Is there an equation or "rule of thumb" that I can use?

Can attach pictures if needes

Old 02-26-14, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
Ducting and ductwork design is a specialty and is certainly something that I'm not familiar with.
My specialty is wiring and control circuitry.

The thing that bothers me is that you should be able to run that furnace on the high fan speed and it should operate normally.... although a little loud due to airflow. If it won't operate properly on high speed then you may have a definite duct issue.

Old 02-27-14, 07:07 AM
T
Looks as though I will need to call someone for advice.

Old 02-27-14, 10:58 AM
S
Question

What size is the return duct? Did you cut the hole in the furnace the same size? It looks like your new furnace has a 4 ton blower, is that what the old furnace was?